Chapter 5: Secrets

"Shock? Rise? Wake up, I think I hear something," I said.

Rise rolled over and swatted at me with her tail. "Can't you sleep without your mum for once, Tear?" She mumbled. I turned crimson in embarrassment at that lie. "Ex ca use me?" I argued silently but forcefully, shoving her in the side with my tail, making her roll over.

"What's up?" Shock asked sleepily. "Can I go back to sleep?"

Then someone from a few caves down started snoring loud enough for the inhabitants of the lost continent to hear.

"Aaaaaaaaand that's my sleep ruined," the fellow hybrid groaned.

I used my weak flame to attempt to light a torch. For the first few seconds, it just kept sparking. LIGHT UP, YOU USELESS PILE OF ASH! I thought screamed. What did that torch ever do to you? Rise mind messaged, which made me laugh. The torch finally light, casting an orange glow around the three of us. "What's going on? All I hear is WOAH!" Rise suddenly yelled, clutching her head. "Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Okay, that is NOT cool! Someone is dreaming about stabbing us! Geez, dude! OUCH!"

"WILL. YOU. GUYS. SHUT. UP?!!!" Scorcher suddenly yelled. "Oh, sor-ree if we are too loud for you! But we like to talk too!" Rise shot back.

"What do you mean, 'too'? I haven't said a word all day!"

"Exactly, more like night! You were talking whole conversations in your sleep about how you didn't want your brother to tickle you!" I fired at her, venom trickling my voice.

Her cheeks flushed bright red. "I-i-" was all she could say. I gasped at what I said. "Sorry," I apologised. Scorcher growled. "Well, I'm sorry if I kept you up, but I didn't have a perfect life in the Rainforest Kingdom or Sea Kingdom like you guys did. I grew up on the streets in the desert, with only my big brother to protect me because our parents had abandoned us for the chance for themselves to fly free while my brother and me where stuck in the Scorpion Den with the Outclaws, scavenging for food, and coming this close to not making it each week!" She burst out. We all looked shocked. I quickly glanced desperately at Rise, and I caught her eye. No, she messaged me. All Scorcher thinks about is how she hates it here and how she has no friends. She misses her brother and wants to go home.

Aww, poor Scorcher, I looked down sadly.

"Scorcher, would you feel better if your brother were here? At Jade Mountain?" Rise asked.

"No!" Scorcher yelled, tears coming to her eyes.

"Why not? You love him!" I said.

"It isn't that I don't want him to!" Scorcher sobbed.

Oh no, Rise messaged.

"Then why?" I asked.

No -

"He's dead," came Scorcher's now quiet, hesitant, tear-wracked reply.

He was caught by surprise by a SkyWing, Rise tells me. Scorcher saw it all happen, but she couldn't do anything because she was so little. She saw her brother die. She saw who killed him.

"What was your brother's name?" I asked quietly. She didn't deserve this life just as much as anyeone else didn't deserve it. I felt her pain.

Scorcher hesitated. "Scorpion," she nodded, freely sobbing. I quickly glanced at Blizzard, and surprisingly, he was asleep. How did he sleep through all of that? Rise asked, following my gaze. I have no idea, I said. "And I know who killed him," Scorcher suddenly added. "What?" Shock asked, confused. "I saw who killed my brother. And they are gonna pay. They will pay largely." And with that, Scorcher angrily, but sadly flew to her stalagmite and curled into a ball. She closed her eyes.

"This is bad," Rise whispered.

Suddenly, a new future appeared in my head. But in became a messy tangled thread entwining with all the other future threads before I could study it. I closed my eyes and tried to untangle it.

In this future, I saw a pale coloured SandWing stabbing a crimson coloured SkyWing with their tail.

I gasped.

"Tear?" Shock asked.

Beside me, I heard Rise sink to the ground and groan. She closed her eyes.

"Rise?" Shock asked again.

Suddenly, me and Rise both opened out eyes and whispered:

"Beware the claws of blood,

Beware the claws of doom

The end is nearing 

You'll meet it, a few more moons.

After the battle,

The futures have gone awry

Everything is broken

The bats will screech on the cold night when it's time to fly."

Shock gaped at us.

"What. Was. That?" He asked.

I shook my head. 

"Honestly?" Rise said,

"I don't know."

The candlelight flickered and died, throwing us into darkness.