Chapter 3

"Hey." Soda greeted me as I slowly walked out of the bedroom.

"Hi." I smiled back. "Did Darry and Ponyboy already leave?"

"Yeah. I've got the week off, the owner of the DX Steve and I work at went outta town." He informed me.

"Oh." Was all I said as I sat down at the kitchen table.

"You want some coffee? We've got breakfast too." He asked walking toward the kitchen.

"Yeah that would be great." I smiled as he poured me a mug of coffee. He made me some toast with strawberry jam as well.

"Thank you." I said while he slid my breakfast to me with a smile.

"I'm gonna hop in the shower, I'll be quick and then it's all yours." I nodded in agreement while I ate my delicious breakfast. It may seem plain to most people, but I haven't had a breakfast in over a year.

Soda finished getting ready and I walked into the bathroom. "Hey Cinderella." Soda said knocking on the door. I opened it and saw Soda holding clothes.

"They're Ponyboy's they may be a little big in you but they're clean." I grinned at him and took the clothes. I thanked him and then hopped in the shower. It felt amazing, I haven't had hot water in, well, a long time. I finally convinced myself it was time to get out and I slipped on Ponyboy's clothes. It was a black t-shirt and jeans. I put on my black high top converse and put my hair in a bun.

"You don't wear makeup do you?" Soda asked as I walked out.

"No." Was all I said and I looked down embarrassed. I could never afford makeup.

"I like that. You're real pretty without it." I could feel my face heating up quickly so I turned towards the kitchen to get more coffee.

"So," Sodapop started standing in the living room. "You want to go home and get some of your stuff? I mean, you look good in Ponyboy's clothes don't get me wrong, but I'm sure you'd feel better in your own clothes."

"I don't want Darry to think I'm moving in, if I can get some money and a job, I can move on soon." I said taking a sip of my coffee.

"You can stay here as long as you want. Really, Darry likes you all right." Soda tried to convince me I was welcome, but I still felt like an outsider.

"I don't know." I responded quietly.

He just looked at me. I felt my face heat up again. "You wanna go somewhere?"

"Geez Soda you don't like sitting still do you?" I laughed.

"What do you mean?"

"You're always wanting to go somewhere. I'm fine staying here, just relaxing." I smiled at him and he smiled back.

"Alright."

"Tell me something about you Soda." I commanded like he did last night.

"I love this game. My favorite drink is coke a cola. I like the color orange and I love competition. Like dancing and fighting and racing. I try to be as happy as I can. Life's pretty good to me, so it's easy. And I just broke up with my girlfriend about a month ago. We had a fight one night and she slept with another guy. She felt real bad and I forgave her, but then we found out she was pregnant. So she left."

"I'm so sorry." I said grabbing his hand. He looked at our hands and then at me and I tried to move but he grabbed my hand.

"Don't be, maybe it happened for a reason." This time I didn't feel butterflies, nor was I nervous. I was just relaxed and comfortable. Like I had known Soda my entire life.

"What would that be?" I asked so quietly I was almost whispering. Our faces were growing closer and his eyes were locked in mine just like the night before.

"I don't know, you tell me." He said equally quiet. My breath quickened and finally I pulled away.

"My parents are at work, I'm gonna run home and get some stuff." I said and Soda just nodded as I quickly walked out. I'm not sure what Soda and I were, there was definitely something there. I'm just not sure what it was.