Chapter 14

A week had gone by, Dallas was out of the hospital but Johnny still wasn't. I was in my way to Paul's house. Something I never thought I'd do. I knocked three times lightly. I was breathing heavily and didn't know how this was going to go. He opened the door and stood there in shock.

"Elle." He said softly.

"Hello Paul." I greeted in a quiet and sad voice. Paul dated my sister for 6 years before she died. It turned him cold. He loved Alex, without her he wasn't the same.

"What are you doing Elle?" He asked stepping outside into the porch where I stood.

"You have to call off this rumble. I know you're all mad because Bob was hurt but he's okay. Please Paul, put this stupid Soc and greaser stuff behind us. We used to be close.." I said softly. It was hard for me to see him again, he used to be like my brother and then all of the sudden, when I needed him most, he wasn't there.

He didn't respond, just looked at me. "Never mind." I tired around angrily and he stopped me.

"You look nothing like her.." He said softly looking for my sister inside my eyes. It broke my heart to know he wouldn't find her.

"She wasn't my biological sister Paul." His eyes widened and then his eyebrows furred.

"What?"

"I was adopted. I'm Dallas Winston's twin sister." This made him flinch in shock.

"What?" He asked again but this time louder.

"Yeah. See what you miss when you shut people out of your life?"

He just looked down painfully. "I'm sorry."

"Just call of the rumble." I commanded. And he nodded in agreement. I turned around and walked down the stores and before I decided to leave I turned back around to face him.

"You might have lost the love of your life, but I lost my sister, my best friend. I needed you more than ever. And you weren't there." He just looked at me with sympathetic eyes. "I know you're sorry, but it still hurts." And with that I left the soc side and walked back home.

I ran into Ponyboy and Dallas walking out the door right when I was entering. "Where y'all going?" I asked slightly curious and slightly overprotective.

"See Johnny, you coming?" Dallas asked me.

"Nah I stopped by before I went to eat." That was partially true. I did go see Johnny but then I went to Paul's, not to eat.

"Alright kid, see you later." Dal said rubbing my head as they left.

"Be careful." I called and then shut the door.

I went and sat on the couch next to Soda. "You know, they think Johnny's gonna make it." Soda said smiling at me.

"I heard, I can't explain how ecstatic I am." I replied and then kissed him softly. "I love you." I said gently with our foreheads together.

"I love you too." He replied and kissed me again.

"Y'all want Cake?" I asked the boys and they all jumped up with excitement. I walked into the kitchen which I considered my own and started doing what I loved. Soda came up to me when I was mixing the ingredients and slithered his arms around my waist.

"Need something?" I asked while he rested his head in the crook of my neck. He gently kissed my skin leaving goose bumps to rise.

"I need to finish this." I laughed. He rolled his eyes in a sarcastic manner and then kissed me and walked off.

I put the cake in the oven. "Guys I'm gonna go change into some sweats I'll be right back." It was getting late and my jeans were uncomfortable. I ended up reading a couple chapters while I was there. Until Soda came and got me.

"Hey, you've been in here for a while. Cakes ready. We already frosted it and cut it too."

"Okay I'm coming." I had my long blonde hair tied into a messy bun and my glasses on with my long grey sweatpants.

"What?" I asked while Soda stood there smiling at me.

"You're beautiful." Was all he said. I rolled my eyes in the same sarcastic manner he had earlier and he laughed.

We all sat down and started eating the cake. "This is great Ella." The boys all took turns complimenting me. I took another bite and bit into something hard.

"Ow!" I said while taking the hard object of my mouth. I looked at it for far too many seconds before it clicked tat it was a ring.

I looked up at Soda and he was grinning at me. He took a deep breath and walked over to me and kneeled down.

"Ella Winston. You make me the happiest man in the world. And I can't imagine not spending the rest of my life with you. I told you when we had our first kiss that I wanted you, and all of you. Now, I want all of you and your future. Will you marry me?" He asked with love in his beautiful eyes.

"Yes." I finally answered and threw my arms around him while the boys clapped.

"Wait Dal And Ponyboy aren't here!" I said scared that they would be upset about kissing the proposal.

"Ahh who cares they'll make it to the wedding!" Steve said and we laughed and I kissed Sodapop passionately.

"I love you more than anything Sodapop Patrick Curtis. And I can't wait to spend the rest of my life showing you."

We were kissing when Ponyboy walked in. I turned around excited to show him the ring on my finger. But his face stopped me.

"What's wrong Ponyboy?" Darry asked.

"Johnny's dead." His voice bounced around in my head. No. No he can't be. Johnny was supposed to be there for everything. He can't be dead, sweet innocent Johnny couldn't be dead.

Ponyboy was still talking but I couldn't hear him. "Dally's gonna blow." Was all I heard.

"Where is he?" I asked anxiously.

"I don't know. He ran out crying and screaming."

My heart had sunk into my stomach. And then the phone rang.