VI

Wildwood Park. It was right down the street from school. In the summers, a group of us guys would all meet out here and have ourselves a little fire pit.

When we showed up, Cassidy was just like a child. She skipped her way to the bridge and I trailed behind her. She walked over the creek and she'd smile as she looked over the railing.

"You really do like nature," I laughed.

Cassidy turned to me with a bright smile on her face. "I do!"

We walked alongside each other into the wooded area. "I think this is the happiest I've ever seen you," I admitted. When I looked at her, she was blushing and looking down at her feet. "No comment?"

"None," she responded.

We walked a little bit longer. The whole time I watched her bright eyes bounce all over the area. I led her to one of the spots I used to come to - it was right next to the creek and it had a little bench to sit on. The was a fire-pit that had wet wood in it that had been burned before by us the last time we came out here.

I sat on the bench and Cassidy took a seat next to me. She tucked he knees up to her chest and wrapped her arms around them - holding her body in a tight ball. "So," I started. "Tell me something."

Cassidy raised an eyebrow at me. "A little more specific, please?"

I shrugged. "Something interesting about you."

Her eyes moved to the creek. Again, it was like she was looking for an answer. Eventually she shrugged and shook her head.

"Nothing?"

Cassidy shook her head. "I'm not an interesting person."

"Bullshit," I protested. "Give yourself a little more credit." All of the questions I had been wanting to ask her came alive in the back of my head. "Where do you want to go to college?"

"Humboldt State," she said proudly.

"Humboldt," I repeated. "Isn't that like 7 hours away?"

"5-and-a-half," she corrected.

"What do you want to study?"

"English and Religious Studies." She adjusted how she sat so her feet dangled in front of her. Her legs were too short, so she playfully swung them back and forth. "What about you, Lucas? What do you want to do?"

The thought never occurred to me. I was pretty much the only junior that hadn't gotten their shit together when it came to college. I shrugged. "I don't know."

"Well, what are you passionate about?" Cassidy looked at me with wondering eyes. For the first time, I felt like she actually cared what I had to say.

I shrugged. "I don't know. I like people I guess."

"People are fascinating," she offered. "Have you thought maybe getting a career working with people?"

I shook my head. "I don't know what I want to do," I admitted. "I still have a year before I need to get my shit together." I looked at her and tried to think of my next question. There were so many things I wanted to ask. "Why do you hate people?"

"I don't hate people," she protested.

"Then why do you stay to yourself?"

"I don't like getting close to people." She looked at me and smiled. "There's a difference." She started to fidget with her fingers before giving me her explanation. "People suck. They're the worst creatures to exist. Besides, I think the characters in books are much more fascinating than the ones that actually exist."

"So pessimistic, I muttered.

Cassidy shook her head. "It's the truth."

I nodded. "So that's why you don't like getting close to people?"

She shook her head. "I never had friends when I was younger, so I never cared to have people around." A weak smile came across her face. "Everyone leaves eventually, so what's the point in getting to know someone if they're just gonna leave you?"

So many more questions sparked out of her response. Maybe a family member walked out on her? I had already asked enough personal questions for today. "Explain to me this 'Lucas' bullshit?"

She looked at me with furrowed brows. "Your name?"

"Why don't you call me Luke like everyone else does?"

Cassidy smiled. "Does it piss you off?"

"Kinda."

"Then there's your reason."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I asked. "You're just doing it to piss me off? Are you really that much of an asshole?"

She let out a laugh under her breath. "No. I just like to be proper."

I rolled my eyes and gave up on the matter. "One more thing," I said. "What's with the 'until next time' crap?"

"What do you mean?"

"You always say it."

Cassidy shrugged. "It sounds better than goodbye? I don't know - what kind of answer are you looking for here?"

I shook my head. "Just wondering. It's different."

"Yeah, well I'm kind of weird in case you haven't noticed," she muttered.

I looked over to see she had curled herself back into a ball. "Being weird isn't a bad thing," I reassured her. She looked over at me and I gave her a small smile. "I like weird."

I watch a small smile spread across her face. It looked like she was about to blush, but she turned away before I could see any color come across her face.

So Cassidy wasn't a total bitch. Not having friends growing up made her heartless towards others - and thanks to psychology, I know that's not necessarily her fault. I think there was more to that story, but I now wasn't the time to ask. The thing is, she isn't totally heartless. She has a love for books and nature. Taking her away from people and into the wild was like reincarnating her into a whole new person - one that was much more loving and happier. My whole mindset about her was changed.

Cassidy Stratton - not a bitch; just not a people-person.