Chapter 20: The Saviors

*Play the song after reading :) This is definitely the theme song for the entire book and ending.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR READING. THIS IS THE LAST CHAPTER OF THE BOOK AND I APOLOGIZE IT'S SO LONG BUT I WANTED TO DO MATTEO AND GEMMA'S STORY JUSTICE AND GIVE IT THE ENDING IT DESERVES.

This is my first book, so I thank all of you that read it, it means a lot to me! :) Please comment and follow! If you liked this one, stay tuned cause I'm already working on another book for you guys!

Russo misses his shot and the bullet ends up into Filipo's shoulder. Filipo fires back, clutching his wound to prevent any more blood from seeping out. He cries out in pain while one of the associates flips the dining table over to shield them from the oncoming round of bullets. Russo and his men have retreated back slightly towards the entrance of the restaurant, hiding behind the water fountain and pillars.

What was left of he remaining patrons have ran out in panic as the mayhem ensued. Matteo drops down with his back against the table, trying to quickly reload when he glances up to see Gemma crouching behind her table. Her coworkers had all scattered, leaving her in the crossfire.

"Damn it!", Matteo curses himself. He had forgotten all about Gemma, everything was happening so fast.

The two associates continue to return fire, one of them finally making contact with one of Russo's men. He fails to the ground, presumably dead.

"Son of a bitch!", Russo exclaims as he watches his associate's lifeless body next to him. "Come out, Matteo!"

"Go fuck yourself!", Matteo shouts back as he's still ducked behind the table. His eyes never leave Gemma's. He motions his hand, moving it up and down with his palm facing the floor, signaling her to crouch lower under the table. Gemma understands this and does as she's told.

"Is that any way to talk to your old man!?", Russo laughs. "You think you're gonna get out of this alive!? You already know I have a penchant for killing you Ciccone's in the middle of fine dining!"

That last part sends a reaction to Matteo and he stupidly starts seeing red. With his blood boiling in his ears, he shoots up from behind the table and immediately starts firing as many rounds as possible. Gemma is watching on in horror as she covers her mouth to stifle her screams.

Matteo is shooting away, hitting the other associate while Filipo is firing away at Russo's consigliere. Russo tries to return fire, narrowly missing the men as bullets bust into furniture and ricochet off pillars. Matteo's blind rage betrays him when a random bullet flies into Matteo's side causing him to double over in excruciating pain. His gun slips from his hands and slides off, lost into the chaos.

"Fuck!", he cries out. He slides down involuntarily against the table as one of the associates go to him.

Seeing this unfold, all Gemma could do was cover her mouth and shed silent tears. Mascara was running down her face, her eyes swollen from the fear. She watches in terror as Matteo drops down to the floor, clutching his side in unbearable pain. Her whole body and mind go numb at the sight. "Is he dead!?", she thought. She didn't have her gun on her, but would have even used it? She'd never actually shot a human before. She'd never felt so hopeless in her life.

The chaos has consumed the night and the bullets are still flying between Filipo and the other associate. Russo has ceased his fire, but was watching on from behind the fountain. Gemma tries to assess the situation, looking around the room. She wasn't a religious person, but at that moment she prayed that she could figure out a way to get her and Matteo out of this. She glances over at Matteo to see that he's frantically searching for his gun. Gemma quickly juts her eyes around the floor when she sees a shiny piece of metal sticking out from under  dining table towards the front.