The Decision

'I see you have recovered from our little encounter back on that rooftop, Claire. I'm glad you did' spoke the Hummingbird while she got close to their visitant. She was trying to follow the woman, who had started pacing quietly around the lab. The Flash had been the only one able to cover his face with his mask. Everyone else's identity was out in the open.

The woman scowled at her for a moment but then smiled, skeptical.

'You've done your homework about me. Wasn't hard to figure out, though.'

'We just want to know what happened. Why you are working with Snake' Liz came back, a hint of a plea in her tone, almost like an apology for invading her privacy.

'Because they are going to win.' She replied in a harsh voice. 'No matter how prepared you think you are, how...carefully planned is your course of action. They...always...win.'

Nobody missed the fact that she spoke about them, without including herself.

'Is that what happened to you?' wanted to know Barry, taking one step in her direction.'You and your team had come with a plan...and it didn't work?'

She looked at everyone in the room, heavy breathing, and closed her eyes for a moment.

'We weren't a team. We were... family.'

Cisco eyed Caitlin while the Flash Team empathized with her.

'Claire, we are also a family', Iris began to talk but the woman interrupted.

'Then surrender. Snake means it, they won't leave anyone alive. Save the humans in this city and the ones in this lab. Surrender and join them, or...or else they'll kill them. Everyone you know will die and it will be your fault, and...you'll be all alone.' She stared at Elizabeth and Barry with wet eyes and contorted expression.

'We are not alone, Claire.' said Liz, softly.'This isn't like any other fight Snake has fought. We can win this. And you can join this family.'

'No.'She responded after a short silence.'I won't be responsible for more death'.

'If you don't want more innocent people to die, why are you still working with Snake?'An outraged Caitlin confronted her.

'I...It's not the same...I don't use my full powers...and I try not to hurt anyone, I restrain myself, stay low, almost doing nothing.'

Elizabeth went close to her, a serious expression in her face now.

'That is exactly how you get people killed.'

'No...'Claire moved away from her, shaking her head in denial.

'You say you don't want any more blood on your hands, but it's pouring. What do you think your Team would say about that?'

'Stop!'

'Lizzie.'Barry called her while Claire hid her face behind her hands, but she went on until she was standing right in front of her.

'This is your chance to finally fight back. To honor your family. They would want you to be strong, to stand for what's right. You have to be brave, Claire. Think about it.'

The woman stared at her for a moment, tears tracing a wet path on her face.

'We don't have much time left, but...Tomorrow, at dawn. If you decide you don't want to be alone anymore, that you want to do the right thing...we will be waiting.'

Claire nodded, and was about to leave when she added.

'The man in a wheelchair...is he a part of this family too?'

The Team froze for a moment, but right before Caitlin could say something, Cisco talked.

'Why do you ask?'

'I saw him, entering our lair, right before I came here. And he didn't seem to be doing it against his will...'

'Are you sure? He was there with Snake? This guy?'Enquired Caitling showing her one picture of Dr. Wells on the screen. Claire nodded again.

'He claimed to be a visitor who had an interesting proposition for them. Snake was about to meet him when I left.'

Elizabeth made a slight bow with her head, as a way of saying thanks, and Claire finally left the lab.

'She was lying.' Caitling almost shouted.'She only told us that to doubt him, to turn us against each other...'

'No. She told us that so we can check its veracity. If she's right, then we know she can be trusted.'Liz stared at everyone in the lab; then she took Barry by the hand and sighed. 'We have until dawn to prove Dr. Wells is innocent.'