Singing In The Rain

Rose's POV

I spent the next few months doing what I did for Snyder for the News Boys. Only now none of it has to be in secret and I wasn't being punished for doing the right thing.

I was finally able to really help people. I don't ever leave the NewsBoys Lodge. The boys are too afraid that if I leave I'll run into Snyder or the Delancys- okay, well mostly Jack thinks that, but the boys agree.

While they are out selling papers, I clean the Lodge, wash their clothes, and get dinner ready. Sometimes a few of the boys come visit me for lunch or when they need to get out of the sun.

Jack was right when he said these boys were like a family. The longer I have been around them, the more and more I have wanted to protect them. The more they have meant to me. The closer I have gotten to these boys, the harder I will fight for them.

"Want some help?" Jack asked one morning after breakfast.

"You sure? There were a lot of sirens last night. Sounds like it's gonna be a great headline."

"Yeah," he laughed. "But, still. . . Thought I would help, ya know. Plus, we haven't really had any alone time." I laughed as he wrapped his arms around my waist and rested his chin on my shoulder.

"Jack?" I asked after a few minutes of silence.

"Yes?" He asked, kissing my shoulder.

"I know you aren't going to like this, but. . . I need to go to the market."

I let out the breath I was holding when he unwrapped his arms from my waist. "Rose," he sighed as he turned me around. "You know how I feel about you going into the city."

"Jack, it's just to the market. I'd be gone an hour, maybe less," I tried to reason.

"No, Rose no!" He yelled making me take step back. Jack took a deep breath as he reached forward and took my hands in his. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "I didn't mean to get angry, I just. . . What if Snyder sees you? Or what if one of the Delancys see you and drag you back to the Refuge. I won't let you go back to that place, Rose. I just won't."

"Jack," I sighed as I wrapped my arms around his neck, pulling in for a tight hug. "What if you came with me?" I asked, pulling away from the hug. "You can come to the market with me, that way you can keep a look out. And if you see Snyder or Morris or Oscar, you can help me escape this time." I fixed his cap, making him smile.

I watched as he thought about it for a second. "Okay," he sighed. "But only if I come with you."

"Jack, I literally just said that." I laughed.

"I mean it, Rose. I never leave your side," he said firmly as he reached up and cupped my cheek in his hand.

"Promise?" I whispered.

"Promise," he said before pressing a soft kiss to my lips.

**********

We were able to go to the market without running into anyone from the Refuge. We were on our way back to the News Boys Lodge when it started to rain. I put my hands out and spun around, laughing. I stopped spinning when I heard Jack laugh.

"Someone likes the rain," he teased. With a grin on my face I grabbed his hands and made him start spinning with me. I felt victorious as he started to laugh.

I let go of his hands and started stomping in the puddles like I was a little girl. I looked over my shoulder and smiled when I saw Jack race after me. We ran around jumping in puddles and splashing each other.

"Rain drops on roses and whiskers on kittens. Bright copper kettle and warm woolen mittens. Brown paper packages tied up with string. These are a few of my favorite things!

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

When the dog bites, when the bee stings. When I'm feeling sad. I simply remember my favorite things! And then I don't feel. . ." I stopped singing when I saw Jack had stopped playing in the rain and was listening to me. "What?"

"Your voice is really somethin', Rose." He smiled making my cheeks burn.

I bit my lip and looked down at my feet, too embarrassed to look at him. Suddenly, Jack's feet came into view. I gasped when he reached forward and put his finger under my chin, forcing me to look up at him. I held my breath as he cupped my cheeks in his hand and started to lean forward. It was like everything around us froze as he pressed his lips to mine.

I instantly started to kiss him back. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me closer.

"You know," I said pulling away. "We're gonna get sick."

"I don't care," he smirked. Suddenly his eyes widened.

"Jack? You okay?" I asked.

"We gotta go. Now."