Chapter 5

I was running, but I felt like I was standing still, it was a strange feeling like my soul was not attached to my body, time seemed to go in slow motion, I could feel every sound throughout my body.

Flashbacks intruded my mind, memories of my family, whispers of darkness, and my sorrow. Crying was all mixed in one sound, it was overwhelming and devastating, and I couldn't process it all, I wasn't sure which sound was telling me what, images of my scared parents prevented me from reacting to my surroundings, and I felt myself tripping over and everything was dark.

"Sweetheart?" A very familiar voice woke me up, I knew that sound, "Sweartheart, can you hear me?" The voice insisted, and I tried my hardest to open my eyes and face the source of that sweet voice.

When I did I instantly recognized her, she still looked as I remembered, although I could never picture her when I tried to connect her face with my lost memories, and finally I could see the whole picture, and her voice that I missed terribly. She had such a caring smile that could make me instantly happy, but then I remembered the photos, the memories were rushing in my head like a hurricane. She locked me in that hole, she left me to die, I remembered now.

"Get away from me!" I screamed while trying to get up, and when I tried to recognize my  surroundings. It was then that I realized this wasn't real, we were in a park, a breathtaking view. I remembered coming here as a kid, this place was filled with happy memories, but how was I here? Have I died?

"No you're not dead Sweetheart, at least not yet..." she said almost whispering the last thing she said.

"Not yet? Do you know where I am? Do you remember what you did to me? You left me to die!" Every word was filled with anger, I couldn't stand the truth, at least being in the dark felt safer somehow.

"You have to wake up sweetie, do you hear me?! Wake up and run! Open that door and go out of the house, or you will die, " she said holding me by the shoulders as an attempt to make me hear every word, her eyes were holding the same painful fear as the photos, she was scared of me?

"You are wrong!" She answered to my unasked question, she knew what exactly I was thinking, but before I drowned myself into more delusions, I closed my eyes and tried to make myself awake.

"You don't remember, do you?" She said with a sad smile, I didn't answer, but I bet she already knew that "you were possessed by them, you became them!"

I hadn't realized I stopped running until after I began gasping for air.
I turned around and I saw nothing but darkness coming after me. At that moment I could no longer rest, I had to run.

I rushed through the hallway that seemed to never ending and reached around until I felt a railing.
I took one foot and stepped down to make sure the railing belonged to a staircase leading down to the floor below.

Sweating, panting, and dizzy I sprinted down the stairs and continued on through the vast house hoping I was at the bottom floor. Feeling an urge to turn around, I did and was met with sudden feelings of overwhelming despair, pain, and an unshakeable cold sensation.

Collapsing to the floor certain I will fall victim to this evil darkness racing towards me, I decided to make my final stand.

One last trick... one last trick out of the hat...

I crawled as fast as I could until I hit a wooden frame. A door... not a door... the door. I stood up with the rest of my remaining strength and twisted the handle.

Unlocked. It was unlocked. Pushing open the door I ran and came to an abrupt stop.

No... there was no more foundation to run on, only darkened left. As the darkness closed in on me I realized what I had to do.

One last trick out of darkness...