Krylo Brotherhood

The room was cavernous, prone to echo although footsteps were muted by the thick carpet. It was dimly lit until it looked as if there were no squared-off walls around. Admiral Modry walked straight to the robed figure seating near the blazing hearth.

"What is happening? I heard filthy rumors from down below the ranks."

Admiral Modry kept standing as he tried to gauge the mood of the GrandFalconer. He passed Dimma's report on the missing relics to him. As the GrandFalconer read through the file, he continued, "The rumors are unfortunately true. I'm keeping the truth contained in the council. I have assigned one of our top GreatHawks on it, Dimma Juodas. I am sure you would agree with my choice."

The GrandFalconer nodded and waved his hand at the chair across him. "Of course. He is the best GreatHawk. Dedicated and trustworthy, doesn't seem to have a life outside the Brotherhood. The Brothers love him. Hell, we both love him."

Admiral Modry sat erectly facing the GrandFalconer. "He had prior experience in closing intricate cases. His closest confidante is a GreatEagle, Hegal Beltzak, one of our master Handler. He is also close with Rosso Rooi, son of Lord Rooi who works in his father's office as a special officer, whatever that means. Just a sinecure job. I think he would ask them for help in this investigation."

The GrandFalconer poured a glass of whiskey and offered it to Admiral Modry. Admiral Modry took a sip before continuing, "It's true that whoever burnt the Pilkas library wing had stolen the Tome before they started the fire last night. It is also true that our Scepter was stolen last night but before the fire grew, they were interrupted by a Brother."

Admiral Modry placed his glass on the table and reached into his pocket for his cigarettes. The GrandFalconer seemed to take the news better than he did. He lit one up before continuing. "The guard didn't see anything or heard anything. The only information we got out of him was a sweet floral fragrance. He smelled a whiff of some sweet perfume outside the main door to the vault after he came back. He came in and saw the fire at one corner of the room where the scepter is and managed to distinguish it in time."

The GrandFalconer put on his glasses and read the report. Admiral Modry kept an eye on the GrandFalconer while nursing his drink. The old man eyes narrowed into a slit and puckered his lips as if he was tasting something tangy. He flung the report into the fireplace, where it turned into nothingness.

"I have a sick feeling in my gut. These two incidents are most probably related. I remember earlier cases of arson on our lodges. Make sure Dimma includes those in later reports."

Admiral Modry thought that it was too early to see the connection between the thefts but he kept it to himself. The GrandFalconer was a wise and sparnas. Even if it was just a gut instinct he would have plausible reasons to back it up. "I will send our Brothers to secure the rest of the relics. Red tapes and meetings with the safe keepers, the Brothers will be in place within next moon."

"How do you propose to ask the other Sparnas families for them? How do you explain the guards?" The GrandFalconer asked.

"There were winds of mutiny from Morsterran WingLess miners. All of the safe keepers are mine owners, or they have stakes in one. The BlueWings were doubling their guards at the mines as we speak. I will t All of this will be overseen by Dimma Juodas and he would report directly to me."

The GrandFalconer nodded. "I want this kept in the Brotherhood. No BlueWings, and definitely none of those insufferable RedWings. For every report, every scrap of paper you received from Juodas I want a copy the minute you receive them. I want the next arson to never happen. Is that understood?"

Admiral Modry stood up and bowed. "Yes, Your Excellency."

Night came and Dimma went to Beltzak, a bar owned by Hegal Beltzak, a close family friend. Hegal was a Krylo Brother initiated a few years earlier than Dimma. Entering from the service door, Dimma went to a side room where Rosso Rooi sat waiting for him.