Ties

"You again! Are you stalking me? Are you trying to kidnap me?" Liath alighted near the gate of the Medici Isle, glaring at Zils Melinas. She took off her scarf, it was a chilly morning and she had flown there, not wanting the hassle of using her family's carriage, with her chauffeur and escorts in tow. He was on a blue crested pegasus at the end of the platform but he stopped as he saw Liath coming in. The two guards at the gates turned knowingly at him, one mouthing 'GrayWings' and smirked.

"Oh Liath, stop it. I gather you two know each other?" A tall WhiteWing walked past Zils and enveloped Liath in a warm hug. "Don't mind her, Zils. She makes it a point to be a spoiled GrayWing if she gets in one of her moods."

"It's okay. I gather Lady Liath is in one of her funny moods today. Have a good day, ladies. I'll see you next moon, Gwyn." Zils grinned and bowed at Liath before riding away.

The isle was usually busy, swarming with WhiteWings clad in their white robes, walking and flying about. That was the day before the Sparnas New Year so most of them were at Castrum, preparing for the solstice festival starting at midnight and ending at the next day's midnight. The Medici Isle was almost empty save for a few acolytes and Healers. Liath was there for her fortnightly massage. Her favorite masseuse was an elderly WhiteWing. She was better than any otherWings masseuse, even though she was hard. She always said Liath's veins were always knotted and told Liath to be less stressed.

Gwyn escorted Liath across the main compound. A sweet scent with a soft tinge of herbal permeated the isle. The Medici Isle was very wide, The main building was the Igqirha Academy of the WhiteWings. It housed chosen WhiteWings and otherWings learn healing and alchemy.

Situated in the north, snow topped the hundreds of cottages dotting the isle. All of the Medici doors faced south to prevent cold drifts, especially during winter. The massage parlor was in between an acolyte dormitory and the Igqirha shrine to the Medici gods. Gwyn left her at the entrance and went to her cottage nearby. Gwyn was in her final year of studies to become an Igqirha. The WhiteWing Academy was at the opposite end of the isle, further south.

WhiteWings were famed for their ability to heal and dispense medicine. They taught their children about herbs and potions from a very young age. The academy is for WhiteWings who wanted to devote themselves to being an Igqirha, a healer who devote themselves to the Medici gods, with a blood vow of loyalty, honesty, and celibacy.

Since knowing her when they were both young, Liath knew Gwyn had always wanted to be an Igqirha. She aspired to be an Igqirha, a healer who would also teach young neophytes. Unlike Liath, she didn't have the pressure to ensure the continuation of her bloodline, she had three sisters and four brothers. As an Igqirha, they can adopt promising babies from otherWings.

After the 3 hours massage, Liath went to see Gwyn at her cottage. She was surprised to see Rosso Rooi standing beside his carriage near the Igqirha shrine. He was wearing a maddening bright red tunic with gold trimmings. As she contemplated whether to talk to him or pretend she didn't see him, she saw Gwyn walking towards them.

Gwyn saw her standing inside the door and waved. "My, why are you out of breath? You just had your massage, right?" Gwyn asked when she saw Liath breathing heavily and her face was all flushed. Liath had to step out and she gave a nod at Rosso. As she fanned herself, she introduced him to Gwyn. Rosso said he was there sending a dinner invitation to the Igqirha Matron from Lord Rooi. Lord Rooi wanted to change the Grand Healer at Senate and wanted the Matron's recommendation and blessing.

"You can't park your carriage here. The otherWings parking lot is at the south entrance. The Matron is away at the moment, but you can pass the letter to me." Gwyn said.

"Great." He handed the sealed scroll to Gwyn. Turning to Liath Rosso asked,"Have you eaten lunch? I know a great place not far from here. Hegal makes a mean steak." Liath had heard Hegal Beltzak's bar, a slightly disreputable bar owned by a BlackWing. She had wanted to go there, but not with Rosso. She looked at Gwyn for help.