Chapter 18: Unlocking the Past

Saying my goodbyes to Nurse Joy felt a bit off. I mean, this time, I was able to give her a proper goodbye. If she wasn't so busy with the Pokémon Center, she would've asked how my journey was going. Helping her out around the Pokémon Center was something I always did for fun. It cut down all the jobs in half.

Now that she was running it herself, she seemed twice as busy.

We hugged as I told her I was off to Nimbasa City, which wasn't a total lie. Nurse Joy advised Rudi to keep an eye out for me, which only led to our departure earlier than I wanted as I dragged him out of the Pokémon Center before he could answer.

We flew to Rudi's home, which appeared empty. I felt a bit confused, but Rudi didn't seem to mind as he just walked to his room. As he did, I noticed had no articles of himself up anymore, just a sign that said his name. Funny how I didn't realize it before.

My Pokémon and I decided to do the same, so I sat on my bed, looking at the silver key in my fingers.

Swanna and Audino both leaned over my shoulder, trying to catch a glimpse of the key. I held it out, so they both could see it.

"Wonder what it's to?" I wondered.

Just like that, Audino grabbed the key from my hands and started saying something I couldn't understand. When will someone invent a Pokémon mind-reader? It would be better than guess what a Pokémon was saying.

Then I remembered something. Audino use to belong to my mom. If this key belonged to her, then he'd know what it opened.

"What's it to?" I asked.

"Audino no no Audino," the Audino said, pointing to the key, then up to the ceiling.

"A secret room?" I asked.

The Pokémon sweat dropped, looking at Swanna for help. My trusted partner shook her head before flying off my bed and stood beside Audino. I watched as the two Pokémon tried acting the scene out. Audino sat down as he moved his hands. While he did that, Swanna started to move around, as if trying to dance.

"A secret dance room?" I guessed, "a keyboard?"

Both Swanna and Audino fell down, embarrassed of my answers. I couldn't help it. I wasn't good at charades. I sighed, looking out the door to see Rena passing by.

While Rena and I weren't on the best of terms, I felt like I was running out of options. Hopefully she wouldn't hold the Opelucid City incident over my head because right now. I needed help.

"Rena," I said, causing her to backtrack to see me through the door, "can you help me out?"

The blue-haired girl raised an eyebrow. "Is it important?"

Instead of answering, I held up a silver key. "This belonged to my mom, and while Audino belonged to her, I can't tell what he's trying to tell me it's too."

Audino slapped his forehead, as if what he was saying was very quite simple. It's kind of weird how they could understand us so well, but when I try to figure out what they're saying, it's just a complete mystery. Again, it would be so much easier if someone just invented something that could just let us understand what Pokémon are saying.