chapter fourteen

A birthday cake, with thirty-six flaming candles and vanilla icing with rainbow sprinkles, came into view. I was sitting across from it in a chair at our kitchen table. Mom was behind it.

"Beth. Please come back," she told me with tears in her eyes. "I want to celebrate more birthdays with my daughter around."

I wanted to wake up from this horrible dream, or whatever it was and hug her right now. My eyes filled with tears. Why would this dream thing bring me back to only birthdays? Why not any other time in my life? I was so angry at the world right now. I clenched my fists so hard they turned white.

After a blinding flash, my dad showed me a picture of me. I was now six, wearing a Barbie t-shirt and blue shorts. My hair was in pigtails with little yellow and pink bows on them. I had a toothy grin on my face and no tears.

I looked at my mom. "I miss you, mom. I need you here, with me."

She held my hand and a smile spread across her beautiful face. "Do you want the first piece, honey?"

So apparently she left, future mom. I looked down at the cake. It looked delicious.

"I think Drew should have the first piece," I told her.

Drew smiled at me. "That's ok, Beth. You can have it."

My mom sliced a small square piece, put it on a blue and purple plate, and handed it to me. I took a bite, and everything went blurry.

~~~~~~~~~~

okay what? hope you enjoyed. :)