Chapter 2

Ahgony flirted with Ruthless, again. He had been trying to earn her as his prize for years now. He was older than she was by two years, so they'd been close and lost touch when he transitioned. He was built like a brother--with his father being black Dagger brother, Phury, and his mahmen Chosen Cormia he was bound to be gorgeous. He had bright golden eyes and rich blond hair. If she wasn't so hung up on Demo, maybe she would've gave Ahgony a chance.

"Just one," he begged her shamelessly.

"No," Ruth turned him down again for a date.

"What are you worried about, Ruthless?" He sighed. "Is it your dad? I know he's intense, but I'm the son of a brother. I'm a respectable and honorable male, I can treat you right. I can formally talk to your dad and--"

"Really, Ahg, I'm just not looking into courting anyone right now." Her eyes shifted over to Demo who was waiting for Ahgony to join them in the training room.

Phury's son left her and she was left alone.

She decided to visit her mahmen in the infirmary where she was working on patient. She took a break to hug her daughter and kiss her forehead. Her fingers skimmed over her bruised neck.

"Your father is a little overzealous, but he loves you and doesn't want you to get hurt."

Ruth sighed. "I know, I just hate how weird he's been acting since this morning." She admitted.

"He'll calm down, he just doesn't like the thought of you being with other males."

"Would Dad prefer it if I were lesbian?" She joked and her mahmen laughed tucking a strand of Ruth's hair behind her ear. After thirty-fours she still didn't really get the "mahmen" thing down, but she was still Ruth's mahmen whom she loved. She always did wonder if she hated the word, did she prefer the human version 'mom'? Ruth didn't really ask much about her mahmen's life as a human, she didn't see much of a point.

After Ruth left her mahmen and ran into her father who was with Butch. The two males greeted her with a smile.

"What are your plans today, Ruthless?" Her father asked.

"Nothing." Ruth shrugged.

"You're not hanging with Demolish?" Butch asked. "He told me he was sparring with some friends, I assumed that meant you."

"He just invited the boys." She tried to hide the disappointment in her voice.

"What? Does he not think my daughter is good enough to--"

"Dad," Ruth crossed her arms, "I don't really care."

She had to walk away before her father got more defensive.

*

Later when waiting for Demo to ask Ruth if she wanted to hit the pub, her father walked into her room.

"I know I've been..." he can't even say the words. Overbearing. "Listen, you're getting older, true? I don't want to stop you from doing things...but..."

"You just want me to be careful."

Her father nodded his head. "Why don't you get ready, you have a date waiting for you."

What does that mean? She thought when her father left. Could it be? Was Demo waiting to take her on a date?

She dressed as quickly as possible and wore her favorite red dress that made her legs look long, and brushed her pin-straight hair. With a quick application of lipstick, and grabbing her favorite black strappy heels, she bolted for the door to find--