Chapter Seven

“I can’t believe..” I shook my head a real smile stretching across my face, for what felt like the first time in years. Tears pooled in my eyes out of pure joy and he gave me his ever dazzling smile.

“You going to hug me baby girl?” He laughed.

“Of course.” I cried and threw my arms around him, burying my head into the crook of his neck. His strong arms wrapped around my waist as he squeezed me to his chest. It felt so good to be in his arms, like I could breath again.

He kissed my neck lovingly as I held him tighter, scared if I let go of him for one second he’d disappear. We held each other for what felt like a minute, but was more like ten, before Oliver called for me.

“Mom?” Oliver’s voice brought me back to everything else in the world.

I looked down at him as he stood at the bottom of the stairs, his eyes glancing shyly at Harley. Harley stiffened in my arms while dropping his around my waist, I glanced up at him but he was glaring at the ground now.

“Yes honey?” I asked looked confused at Harley before looking down at our son.

“Who’s this?” He questioned his voice soft and scared. What was I going to tell him? Everyone kept telling him that his dad was dead, of course I didn’t but I don’t think he believed me.

“I should leave.” Harley muttered but before he took a step I reached out to stop him.

“Please don’t.” I desperately pleaded. He looked shocked for a second but he must have noticed how much I didn’t want him to leave as he gave me a small smile. “Stay for dinner.”

His eyes flickered to Oliver who was looking confused before he answered. “Alright, if I’m not imposing.”

“You could never.” I told him firmly, “Oliver go on inside and wash up, dinner should be done soon.” He did what he was told but I could tell that he didn’t want too.  

I sighed when the screen door shut and I heard Oliver grumbling up the stairs. “Sorry.” I shook my head, “He’s a bit cautious around new people.”

His eyebrows furrowed slightly and I could tell he had a question. “Come inside.” I whispered softly and opened the door, “Please.”

He gave me a confused stare that resembled Oliver’s and I smiled. He followed me in but not before taking a deep breath. His eyes roamed around the house and I noticed his eyes land on the dozen of boxes in the entryway.

“Moving?” He questioned, his eyes hardening slightly before he looked at the pictures on the wall.

“Yeah.” I whispered, “I tried to keep it as long as I could but the payments are too much..” I trailed off, shrugging as I walked into the kitchen to take out the lasagna. I heard his footsteps behind me and I smiled.