Chapter 5 - Surprises

As Tamami opened her eyes, it took her some time to remember where she was. She slowly got up after a few minutes and got dressed into the clothes - she guessed - Inoue laid on the night stand. Never had she been so glad that they fit, the difference in their chest size was... big after all, but it seemed she also had some small things.

While making her way to the living room she fiddled around with her hips-long hair and ended up putting it into a messy bun. She wasn't wearing it open often, it only got into her way, especially in fights.

"Good morning Hoseki-chan~ Oh, the black skirt and green sweater I picked out for you fit better than I thought. It really compliments your eyes... and these stockings! You simply look adorable", Inoue giggled and Tamami blushed, rubbing the back of her head.
"Don't you think so too, Hitsugaya?", the suddenly addressed man surprised Tamami. She glanced towards the couch where - you guessed it - the young Captain was sitting, typing something on his phone, but looking at her upon hearing his name.

"Ah, g-good morning, Hitsugaya-taicho...", trying to suppress her blush didn't work in the slightest and she felt nervous about the turquoise eyes scanning her.
"A good morning to you too, Hoseki. And yes, it does suit her", that surprised her even more. Normally he would have simply ignored such an 'irrelevant' question, right?
"T-Thank you...", her face was as red as a strawberry, which reminded her of Ichigo, "Um... Will we work with Kurosaki and the others today?"
Even Inoue was interested in his answer.
"Most likely. We'll try to find out the bigger meaning behind the attacks. If one occurs, the people who are near will assist them, but if we're on to something else, we will solve that first."
"Understood", both girls nodded and Inoue made her way to school.

After Tamami received a spare key, she closed the door. The house was filled with silence. Next she calmed her nerves from before and rubbed her cheeks before reentering the living room. This time Hitsugaya was already standing, seemingly waiting for her.

"Is there... something you need?"
"I want you to accompany me while we scan the area a bit. Maybe we'll find something already, who knows", he walked over to the door.
"Alright, I'll just get my mod soul real quick", she hurried back to her room and got it - thank god her skirt had pockets. She jogged back to him and together they left.

"Here", a good five minutes have passed as Hitsugaya suddenly handed Tamami something.
"What's that?"
"Your own phone."
"Oh, thanks", she looked at the small device in her hands, fascinated, "Where did you get it?"
"Yesterday I went to Urahara one more time to ask about it. Luckily he could give me one for you straight away. All of our numbers are saved so you can contact us anytime. We can do the same if it's necessary."
"That's quite a thing~ But... I honestly can't imagine Captain Kuchiki running around with something like this...", just imagining it in her head looked silly.
"It's easier to stay in contact, so try not to loose it."
"Got it", she nodded and put it away.

*Timeskip*

She really wondered where they were going exactly, but at the same didn't want to bother the Captain. He mentioned beforehand that they would only scan the area, but they've been walking for two hours now and there was still... nothing.
"Um... Taicho?"
"Yes?"
"What... exactly are we doing?"
"Scanning the area."
"For two hours?"
Suddenly he held up his phone, which was closed the whole time during their walk.
"This thing, mostly yours, is scanning the area to be precise. Yours is new so we have to carry it around so it knows which area is important for us. I know it seems boring, but when we're done it will be able to detect even the smallest change in spiritual pressure and alert you."
"Oh...", she asked herself though why he didn't mention that at first.
"And... I wanted you to get a little familiar with this town", that part was being said a bit quieter than the rest.

Tamami blinked, trying to process this information in her head, slowly turning to him.
"Was that a bad idea?", their eyes met and she already felt guilty making him feel that without meaning to.
"O-oh god, of course it wasn't! It was... a nice idea... I'm actually really glad. I didn't know that that was your intent after all, but... I think I'll be able to find my way around here now. And... well... spending time... w-with you... was also nice, Hitsugaya-taicho...", she lowered her head, not being able to look directly into his eyes while saying so. His gaze was... so intense.
"Hitsugaya."
"Huh?"
"Call me Hitsugaya when we're alone, there's no need for formalities...", this time it was his turn to avoid her gaze as she looked at him again.

A few more steps of silence until Tamami broke out into a big smile.
"You're full of surprises Hitsugaya, do you know that?"
"I don't know what you mean...", covering her mouth and chuckling behind it, she missed the light shade of pink which was covering his cheeks.
"Then please... call me Tamami."
"Are you sure?"
"I insist~"
"Alright... Tamami", and she could barely believe her eyes when he actually smiled back at her.
Just a little, but it was there. Most importantly, her being the reason created butterflies in her stomach. Hearing her name in his voice made her heart flutter. Could this get even better?

But the moment was ruined when their phones rang loudly which made her jump a little. He shot her a quick glance of amusement before turning to his serious self again.
"There are hollows nearby."
"Quite a lot of them actually...", she had pulled out her phone to check herself, "I bet Kurosaki is already on his way."
Even if she didn't know him well, he seemed like the kind of guy who'd instantly jump up to fight or help.
"Probably, so let's support him and the others. We need to make our own picture of the situation", he got his mod soul out and popped it into his mouth. She followed him quickly by doing the same.

Finally being out of the gigai she stretched and looked at her second self.
"Get back home and stay there", the Captain ordered the two duplicates and they nodded. Tamami quickly got out Inoue's spare key and handed it to 'herself'.
"Don't loose it, and don't break anything."
"Got it!~", her mod soul saluted and stuck her tongue out, making Tamami sweatdrop.
"At least she hasn't got a super grumpy or sad personality...", she thought to herself.

The shinigamis watched them run off before Hitsugaya turned to her.
"Let's go."
They used their flash step to travel as fast as they could to their destination.
This was it.

"I need to watch out."