Chapter 17

Chapter 17:

Alex's POV-

I was having the best day I'd had in a long time. Laying out on a blanket with my best friend in the whole wide world with the sun on my face. It was pure serenity. Eddie propped up on one elbow and looked at me. "What?" I asked. "Nothing," he replied. "I'm just glad you're here." I smiled. Without warning, he picked me up, threw me over his shoulder, and started running around the park. "Ahhhhh!! Put me down!" I screamed, laughing so hard that it hurt and pounding my fists on his back. Somedays, it's just great to go out with some friends and have a good time. Eddie ran back to the blanket and sat me back down. My phone was ringing. It was Niall. It was just then that I remembered that he was at my house. He probably had been trying to call me all day. Sure enough, I had about 11 missed calls from him. I picked up the phone. "Hello?" "Where the hell are you? Thank god you're okay." He was worried. And now I was mad. "I'm not some helpless baby, you know. I went out with a friend. And it's not like it's your responsibility to look after me. I've been taking care of myself for 10 years now. You're not the only one I care about and want to spend time with." I was close to screaming at the end. I don't know why I was mad at him, I just was. "I know that..." he whispered. I felt bad for yelling at him. He had every right to be worried, especially given everything that had happened in the last few weeks. "I'll be home in about an hour. We can talk then, okay?" "Okay." he said. We hung up after saying goodbye. Eddie came over and kissed my on the top of my head, as to comfort me, before sitting down. "Who was that?" he asked. "You sounded upset." "It was no one. But I do need to be headed home." I replied. No reason to get him worried over nothing. We picked up our stuff from the picnic and started off towards my house. On the way back, he told me all about his time overseas and the friends he had made there. All too soon, it was over and we were back at my house. He picked me up piggy-back style again and ran around some more. It has always been something we had done. Sometimes I carried him, but he mainly carried me. I just smiled and screamed as he ran around. He put me down on my doorstep. "Me, Parker, and some other people are throwing a party this weekend. You game?" "Of course!" My friends always threw the best parties around. I smiled and looked at him. "What?" he asked. "Nothing," I smiled. I kissed him on the cheek next to his ear and said, "Thank you. For today. I needed it." "I thought you might," he replied. "Call me. Anytime. I'll always be here for you Alex." And with that, he got into his car and drove away. I stood at my front door smiling for a second. Something caught my attention out of the corner of my eye. I looked and the curtains of the front widow were swaying. I knew exactly what happened. Niall had seen the whole thing. This was not going to go well. I took a deep breath and stepped into the house.