A Brand New Beginning

Once Upon a Time...

...there lived a beautiful 16-year-old girl named Belle Navarro. She came from Texas, and she lived with her parents, Estrella and Victor.

Belle really thought her life was perfect in Texas when her father said something very fearful: they were moving. Belle thought it was already bad enough losing her great-grandmother earlier in the year—she didn't want to move from Texas.

It was in October when Belle and her parents moved to Malibu, California. Malibu wasn't the same as Texas, but it was definitely beautiful, and there was something very positive about moving to Malibu: Belle and her parents are now living next door to her maternal grandparents.

Belle's great-grandmother was a World War II veteran, so Belle decided to decorate her room with anything red, white, and blue. Victor and Estrella even hung the American flag up on their porch. Belle felt so proud to have her new home decorated like this. Once the house was ready, Belle's grandparents, Lucia and Francisco, came over to see her and her parents.

"Bienvenidos," Lucia smiled.

"Gracias, Mamá," Estrella smiled.

"Belle, Abuelo and Abuela are here," Victor called.

"How's Belle doing?" Francisco asked.

"La pobrecita is really scarred from losing Mamá Isa over the summer," Victor frowned.

Suddenly, Belle came downstairs, happy to see her grandparents. "Abuelo! Abuela!" she beamed. She went and hugged her grandparents.

"How are you doing, princesita?" Lucia asked.

"Fine, gracias," Belle answered.

"Belle, we have a surprise for you," Francisco said. He handed his granddaughter a wrapped gift. "Abuela and I were thinking of giving this to you on Veterans Day, but we want to give to you now."

"Gracias," Belle smiled. She removed the ribbon and then the paper. She opened the box to find a silver locket with a deep blue sapphire and tiny red rubies around the sapphire. "Mamá Isa's locket? ¡Gracias!"

 "Mamá Isa's locket? ¡Gracias!"

"De nada," Lucia smiled. "Look inside."

Belle opened the locket to find two pictures—one was a picture of Mamá Isa when she was in the military, and the other was a picture of her brother. "Bonita," she gaped. She put the locket on.

"Are you excited about your first day of school, princesita?" Estrella asked.

"I am now," Belle smiled.