First Day of School

The next week, Belle transferred to Ridgeway High School. She was wearing a red turtleneck top and a dark blue vest with white stars. Everyone seemed to love her outfit because it showed how much she values the USA.

Belle's first class was American History. This class was what really got her excited. She hoped that she'd learn more about the World Wars. Her teacher, Mr. Maxwell, seemed very nice.

"Class, we have a new student joining us: Isabelle Navarro," Mr. Maxwell announced.

Belle came up before her classmates and said, "You can call me 'Belle'."

"Okay, Belle," Mr. Maxwell smiled. "Care to tell us about yourself?"

"Well, I just moved here from Texas, and now I lived next door to my grandparents," Belle told her classmates. "My mother is working as a doctor at Mercy Hospital, and my father is a stay-at-home father."

"Ah, and I see you're wearing red, white, and blue," Mr. Maxwell noted. "I can tell you're proud of your country."

"Yes, well, my great-grandmother and great-granduncle served the country in World War II, and she died earlier in the year—my great-granduncle died in said war," Belle revealed.

Belle's new classmates felt bad for her, especially when they saw how sad she was when she said that.

"Well, I'm glad you value them and the USA very much," Mr. Maxwell smiled.

Belle was proud to show how thankful she was for what her great-granduncle and Mamá Isa did for the United States.

"You know, honey, this Veterans Day is going to be very special, especially for the juniors," Mr. Maxwell said. "This is 2011, and the school is having a party for the 11th graders. Since your great-grandmother was a veteran, perhaps you'd like to do something at the party in her honor."

"Gosh, I'd love to," Belle smiled. There really was nothing that would make her happier than doing something to honor her great-grandmother and great-granduncle.

Near the end of history class, Belle found herself feeling excited for the Veterans Day party when she felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned and saw a blonde girl looking at her.

"Hello, Belle," the girl said. "The name is Franny Winslow."

"Great to meet you, Franny," Belle smiled.

Suddenly, the bell rang, and it was time for Belle's next class: art class. She was surprised to see that Franny was in that class, too. Belle was sitting down at an empty table reading an old journal. Franny saw that Belle was reading what looked like an old book. Franny assumed that it was Belle's journal—and she felt very curious about what was written inside it.

Suddenly, Belle felt a tap on her shoulder. She turned to see a cute boy with dark brown hair and hazel eyes smiling at her, and she tried to fight a blush.

"Do I know you?" the boy asked.

"No, I don't think so," Belle said. Her face started to turn a little pink.

"You must be the new girl, Isabelle Navarro," the boy surmised. "I'm Hugo Delgado."

"Great to meet you," Belle smiled. "I go by 'Belle'."

Suddenly, class started, and Belle introduced herself to her classmates. The art teacher, Ms. Fedor, allowed her to do any art she wanted since her classmates are already doing a different project.

Belle decided to do an acrylic painting having to do with representing the USA. She looked through the old journal to find some inspiration, and she decided to do a painting of the American flag. She drew the flag design on a blank canvas, and then she put on a smock and started painting.

Franny really wanted to know what was in Belle's journal, but she knew that if she tried to sneak a peek, someone would catch her, so she needed to pick a good time to do it.