Franny's "Discovery"

The next day, Belle was at her locker, and she was unaware that Franny was spying on her. Once Belle got what she needed, she was greeted by Mr. Maxwell.

"Good morning, Belle," Mr. Maxwell smiled.

"Hi, Mr. Maxwell," Belle smiled.

"We want to show you something," Mr. Maxwell said. He took Belle with him with Franny discreetly following them.

Mr. Maxwell took Belle to a history room, where there were many pictures of veterans who have served the country. These portraits were to be shown at the Veterans Day party. Belle looked at many different portraits until she came across one that surprised her—there was portrait of a veteran who looked just like her. Franny was peeking into the history room, and she also saw the picture of that veteran.

Belle read the plaque on the frame and cried out, "Isabelle Gonzalez?"

Franny was so shocked that she couldn't stay around any longer. She just fled the scene. She couldn't believe what was really going on. Actually believing Belle is Isabelle Gonzalez, Franny believed that Belle's "true identity" will be revealed at the Veterans Day party. When Hugo showed up, Franny had to tell him what she has to say.

"Hugo, you won't believe it: Mr. Maxwell is going to expose Belle's identity at the Veterans Day party!" Franny told him.

But Hugo just rolled his eyes. "Franny, I told you, there is no way Belle is an old lady with the body of a teenager," he frowned.

"But it's true," Franny protested. "Mr. Maxwell showed her a portrait of her in the history room, and her name is on the frame."

"It's probably another Isabelle, Franny," Hugo surmised.

Before Franny could try to argue, Belle and Mr. Maxwell came walking down the hallway.

"I can't believe you have pictures of Arturo and Isabelle," Belle smiled. "I can't wait to see my parents and grandparents' reactions."

"They ought to be proud of what you do for Isabelle and Arturo, honey," Mr. Maxwell smiled.

Once Belle and Mr. Maxwell were gone, Franny couldn't believe what she heard. "You hear that? They're going to show portraits of her and Arturo from World War II at the party," she told Hugo.

"Arturo?" Hugo frowned.

"She wrote in her journal that Arturo was her brother and he died in World War II," Franny declared. "She's going to honor herself and her brother at the party."

Hugo had had enough of Franny's shenanigans. "Franny, stop," he glared. "I've had enough of your nonsense already. It's very obvious that you're jealous of Belle for being the descendant of a World War II veteran."

Then Hugo walked away. Franny tried to get Hugo's attention but no luck. She wasn't sure if she should expose Belle, but since Mr. Maxwell was in on this, Franny felt like she should do it, too.

In choir class, Mr. Nichols was having students perform songs. "Belle, would you like to perform a song for us?" he asked.

Belle got up in front in her classmates. "This was one of my great-grandmother's favorite songs," she said. "She sang this at her brother's funeral when he died in World War II." Then she started to sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" from The Wizard of Oz.

Somewhere over the rainbow

Way up high

There's a land that I heard of

Once in a lullaby

Somewhere over the rainbow

Skies are blue

And the dreams that you dare to dream

Really do come true

Someday I'll wish upon a star

And wake up where the clouds are far

Behind me

Where troubles melt like lemon drops

Away above the chimney tops,

That's where you'll find me

Somewhere over the rainbow

Bluebirds fly

Birds fly over the rainbow

Why then, oh why can't I?

If happy little bluebirds fly beyond the rainbow, why oh why can't I?

The class clapped for Belle, except for Franny. She wondered if Belle really sang that song at Arturo's funeral.

After school, Franny was in her room at her computer. She was looking up a video of Arturo Gonzalez's funeral, and there was a woman who looked just like Belle—singing the very same song Belle sang in class. The singing voice sound just like Belle's voice.

"I knew it!" Franny exclaimed. "Belle really is a World War II veteran—and she really has been frozen in time all these years! I probably shouldn't expose Belle, but Mr. Maxwell is letting her reveal her identity at the party. I suppose I should do it."

For the next few weeks, Belle was really excited for the party, and she knew what she wanted to do to honor her great-granduncle and great-grandmother: she was going to sing Lee Greenwood's song "God Bless the USA".

Meanwhile, Franny was thinking of how to expose Belle's secret at the party. She knew that Belle was going to sing, so she decided to expose Belle before she could sing.