Introduction

Composing Mr. Composure

Earlier this year I watched a movie which told the story of what might happen if all crime was made legal for twelve hours. The film was The Purge and I really enjoyed it. It was an interesting premise and showed some of the extremes people would go to just because they could.

I was surprised and delighted to be contacted by the team who are working on the sequel, The Purge: Anarchy, which will premiere on July 18th, asking if I'd be interested in writing a story to coincide with the film's release. To say I was interested was an understatement. I was honoured - and, perhaps, a little worried. Writing this story would be out of my comfort zone. I usually wrote paranormal thrillers and you could be pretty sure the main character either wouldn't be alive at the end, or he was already dead. I was given the go ahead to include a paranormal twist if I wished but... well, you'll have to read the story to find out if I did so.

Once I started writing, I realised I needn't have worried. The premise of the Purge is a strong one and was something I could really get stuck into. I chose - or the story chose as I wrote it - not to concentrate on the Purge itself. I chose to write about one of the victims. What would you do if your parents were shot in front of you? In my story, we find out - and see how far someone can be pushed when crime suddenly becomes a game-show.

I feel privileged to have been asked to do this and I do hope I've done justice to the faith shown in me. And I hope you, the reader enjoy both my story and the film itself. I know I'll be there on release day.

Also, writing this has been a learning curve. I've learned not everyone in my stories has to die.

Or do they...?