Chapter 7

An empty pizza box sat on the coffee table while the two teens lounged on the couch. Francis's blanket lay across their laps.

"That was great," Mattie said, resting his head back with shut eyes.

"I agree," Rex said. "I'm glad we shared that experience together."

Rex was still confused about her current situation, but being with Mattie gave her less reason to feel worried. They'd never met before, but it didn't take long for them to feel close. She trusted him already.

"I wonder why those men were chasing me," Rex wondered.

"Probably because you were running from them," Mattie joked.

Rex snorted. "Do you know them?"

"Yeah... they're friends, I guess."

"You guess?" Rex giggled.

Mattie shrugged. "They're alright. One was my brother actually. He... Yeah, he's alright."

Rex was pretty sure she knew who he was talking about. She was about to speak, when suddenly she lurched forward.

"Rex?!" Mattie yelled. Rex let out half of a groan that was cut off by a sharp intake of breath. Her body rose, her neck rolled, head back awkwardly. She stared at Mattie with glowing green eyes. Mattie nearly fell off the couch, bracing on the furthest edge of it.

"It's supposed to rain today," Rex whispered. Her body dropped again.

Mattie rushed to her, grabbing her shoulders. He moved her until she was lying back against the couch. Her eyes shot open and he flinched, even though they had returned to normal.

"What the hell was that?" Mattie asked frantically.

"I don't know," Rex frowned, rubbing her forehead. "But I think it happened before."

"What do you mean?" Mattie slowly sat back down.

"When I was in the basement, before I started running. Maybe before that as well, with Ivan."

"You remember!" Mattie exclaimed. "W-what do you remember, exactly?"

"Everything, I think."

A heavy, crushing silence followed. The fear and confusion grew on Rex's face with each second that passed. Mattie felt obligated to put an end to that. "Your eyes turned green before."

Rex looked at him, "Just now? When I fainted?"

"You might've fainted at first, but then you lifted your head and spoke to me. Do you remember that?"

"No, I don't. But my memory is blank. Just like earlier today. It was like I'd woken up running, with no memory of why I was. Like in a nightmare."

Mattie shuddered. "That sounds awful."

Rex sighed, frowning deeply. "I'm not asleep, am I?"

"No." Mattie said. Rex's face fell. Mattie swallowed hard. "S-should I call an ambulance?"

"No." Rex stared up at him, alarmed. No one in the hospital would know what was wrong with her. A priest would, maybe. "I don't need a doctor or anything like that."

"Should I call Arthur? Ivan? Anyone?" Mattie asked.

"No," Rex said softly. Her expression faded into something blank and unreadable. "Don't call anyone."

"Then what do you need?" Mattie asked, pain in his voice. If this went on any longer it was likely that she'd get worse. He felt responsible for helping her. "What do you need?" He repeated, softer this time. He was willing to do anything at this point.