Chapter 12

Alm lay on her side and hummed contently. Kyoya wrapped his arm around her, pressing against her bare back. He laced their fingers together and kissed the nape of her neck.

"Something weird happened," Alm said.

Kyoya blinked rapidly, fighting sleep. "What, that thing? Sorry, it was in the moment. I won't do it again if you didn't like it."

Alm chuckled. "No, I meant yesterday when I was with Haruhi." Alm rolled over to face him and briefed him on the details of her little fainting spell. She left out the part about what she saw, as she wasn't sure if it was real or not. "I don't think it's a big deal, but I can't know that for sure. I don't want you to worry about it, though."

"I'm going to anyway," Kyoya said softly. "I just hope it was an isolated event – caused by dehydration, probably – and not related to the blackouts. Those seem to be over too, and I hope they stay that way."

"It's only been a couple of days since the last one," Alm reminds Kyoya. "But, I hope they stay away too. I'd like to be totally aware if I get to experience this again." She stroked his chest seductively. He closed his hand over hers.

Kyoya bit his lip, his eyes twinkling darkly. "I'm about ready to experience that again, if you are." He leaned in for a kiss, but just as he did his phone vibrated loudly behind him. Alm put her finger to his lips. She told him to check his phone.

"God knows I miss mine."

Kyoya sighed, grabbing his phone and unlocking it. After touching the notification it opened immediately, which he likely would not have done had he read who the message had been sent by. A voice note started playing and before he could stop it, Alm heard it all.

"I found more information on Alm's situation."

Kyoya looked back in horror at Alm's outraged expression. "I can explain!"

"No, don't." Alm began searching for her clothes in a rage. "It doesn't matter why you lied, just that you did."

"I had good intentions, I swear." Kyoya watched her from the bed as she moved frantically around the room, picking up her clothes.

"There is no way of looking at this that makes it seem like you could have possibly had good intentions, Kyoya." Alm was fuming and her face was turning red. She'd stopped looking at Kyoya a while ago. "You lied to me and then you slept with me. How am I supposed to see you as anything other than a four-eyed fuckboy?"

Kyoya stood up, trying to get her to stop and listen. But she was ready to leave. Kyoya was panicking. "I lied to you because I don't want you to leave."

Alm finished dressing herself and glared up at him menacingly. "And what about what I want?"

"Do you want to leave me?" Kyoya nearly spat. Her anger was contagious, but on him it was irrational.

"How can you be so selfish?" She pushed by him, horrified by his sudden change in behavior.

"I'm sorry!" Kyoya yelled. "Where are you going?"

"To my room." Alm slammed his door on the way out.

Kyoya sunk to the floor beside his bed and stayed there for a long time with his head in his hands. There were so many things he wanted to take back right now. He shouldn't have lied to her in the first place. She was right, he was selfish.

Eventually, he reached for his phone and messaged Nekozawa. He had to let Nekozawa tell Alm everything he knew. Initially, Kyoya didn't want Alm to know that Nekozawa couldn't help her. He didn't want her to lose hope. But if things had changed and Nekozawa finally uncovered something useful, then Kyoya had to make things right.