Because That's What Friends Do

Jessica's POV

I couldn't sleep during the night. I'd never even been to Lutum, which was my real home, and it was destroyed before I got to see it.

Why did this have to happen?

The next morning, I heard whispering. I walked into the other room to see what was going on. 

"Oh hi Jessica," Leah said, looking flustered. "Um, we were thinking-"

"We were thinking that since spring break is starting tomorrow, we'd go over to Lutum and try to fix things," Evelyn said.

"Don't feel bad," Madison said. "It's just a fire. We can handle it-"

"Just a fire?!" I snapped. "It's not just a fire!"

"She didn't mean it like that," Evelyn said, trying to break the tension. "She's just trying to-"

"She's not trying  to do anything!" I said, getting angrier by the minute. "I don't know how you can be so insensitive!" I brushed my teeth, changed, grabbed my books, and stormed out.

"Don't worry," Leah said. "She can just get a bit aggressive at times."

That's what you think.

I ignored all of them in classes. I hung out with Bella and other students from Lutum. Students who would understand.

Although, I started to cool down a bit. Then I started to feel ashamed. Why had I turned against my best friends, the only people besides my parents who would care about me? I put down the book I was reading and leaned my head on the table.

I felt a hand on my back. "Madison?" I asked, lifting my head halfway.

"No, it's me, Evelyn," Evelyn said. "I just wanted you to know that you can come with us to Lutum, if you'd like."