About the MC of DDLC Part 1

Doki Doki Literature Club is a game that starts off joyful and lighthearted, but takes a swift turn towards the dark lands.

Once this takes place we want to know all there is about these four girls. We are eager to figure out every single aspect of their story and piece it all together.

People have mentioned that any future works done by Team Salvato won't be tied to the Doki Doki universe, but that doesn't mean that won't change.

Even if the fan art on the store page wasn't canon, success can surely change things, so we'll have to wait and see what happens. However, even though Doki Doki seems to have been analyzed from top to bottom, there is still one mystery that remains.

Sure, we know that these four girls are claimed to be from a separate universe, but that doesn't asnwer all the questions. Because there are five people in this story.

NOT JUST FOUR

Some people didn't know this but some people know this already. Just making sure if you knew that there are FIVE characters.

Well, maybe you already know that. Just in case.

In this small world that runs from the residential town area to the school, we only have five people adding life to this disjointed place.

Four of them we interact daily, but one of them is someone we live vicariously through. The Protagonist, who is controlled by YOU, the player, is the only variable present in the game.

And if you ask me, he's far more mysterious than any of the other girls.

Let me lay the ground work real fast before explaining why.

In DDLC, you play the only male we know of this universe. He is heavily into anime and video games, kinda just like me!

He doesn't seem to have great social skills or confidence, but based on our actions and our progression, it seems he is far way better than it seems. Remember in Act 1 when Sayori says to us that we might not have enough social skills for college and that we might become a NEET.

What's a NEET anyway?

Alot of people might have experienced who were in similar situations would have difficulties doing a lot of things he did, yet he proceeds with them without as much as hesitation. I kinda thought that why wasn't he even slightly nervous talking to the three girls.

It's contrary to what we would expect, but in the world of a visual novel, we give it the pass because the Protagonist can reach any outcome.

We only get to see the Protagonist one time throughout the game too.
Remember the CG when the Protagonist hugs Sayori infront of our house.

That's the only time we get to see the Protagonist. We know he has brown hair and wears a long black shirt because he can be seen hugging Sayori. In the other CG's, we can see the arms of the Protagonist. It is proof that "that" is indeed the Protagonist.

While he seems to be a very average male, the community is certainly divided by him. On one hand he seems to be an innocent boy who is stumbling through life and has interest in his female schoolmates.

OR IS HE?

On the other hand, he can come across as manipulative and uncaring based on your actions. I think this is what is so perplexing about the protagonist in general. He's a vessel for the player, but he is still planted in this world.

If these four girls are here despite being another world, what about him? If the game is altered, his actions are affected, but there's something that's off about the way this character is set up.

He isn't like all the other characters. He has planned responses like them, but he is bound to a different set of rules.

Or perhaps.......

Above the rules.

Especially, he doesn't have a character file. He can't be deleted like any of the other characters. Even if Monika wanted to, which she doesn't, she couldn't do it.

He's a window to the outside world, so if he was gone Monika might very well go insane.

But this puts him in an interesting place.

He's the ticket to freedom in some regards, but on the flip side, he's also the one in which judgement can be carried out. If anything changes in the game around him, his memory is altered like everyone else.

His responses don't seem to have access to the same awareness that the Club President holds, but through the player he is able to restart this world and resume it anytime he wants.

The other characters simply act accordingly when this happens. Everyone is programmed to adore him, but if these characters are against their will, despite not remembering it,

What is his story?

For someone who operates on a separate set of rules, why was he put in this universe? What is the reason?

Is he from the same place as the four girls?

If experimentation was taking place, was he one of the bad guys?

Did he mess up and get banished here alongside these other experiment?

But more so, why is he different?

If the Third Eye refers to gaining awareness of being inside of a game, what kind of eyes does someone have if they are a window to the world inside of a game?

A set of eyes an outside player can see through to experience a game world they aren't a part of?

There's tons of questions and it's kind of trippy to think about.

I think I should stop here, this theory might take to 2-3 parts I think. So while you're waiting might as well comment on what you think so far about my theory.