Birth Control - It's all up to YOU!

The Group

No one knows your body better than you, and if you are sexually active, you need to be aware of all the possible consequences. Besides sexually transmitted infections (STIs), sexually active women must also be aware of the possibility of pregnancy.

As a sexually active female, it is important to have the knowledge necessary to make wise decisions for yourself and your future, and if at that moment a child is not part of the equation, there are countless methods to prevent pregnancy. Most birth control methods can be purchased without a prescription, but with so many options (from patches to pills), it all comes down to you.

No one knows you better than yourself, and while some of these methods might seem foolproof, there are some side effects to be aware of. For example, the Pill, an oral contraceptive (which is a dose of hormones—usually estrogen and/or progesterone) sometimes has side effects that can suck (like irregular menstrual bleeding, nausea, weight gain, headaches, dizziness, breast tenderness, and mood changes). In women over 35 and smokers, the likelihood while on the Pill of heart attack, stroke, and blood clots is greatly heightened. While this may seem quite scary, every women is unique, and while some may experience side effects, many do not.