Chapter 32 - Loving, and Being Loved

Chapter 32 - Loved, and Being Loved

Julia's P.O.V.

As soon as the car door closes behind me, we're off. I thought we were going to my house, but Harry's car is driving in the complete opposite direction. The car still smells brand new, completely clean.

The smoothness of the ride betrays any first impression of the speed we're going. Harry's speedometer says we're going over forty miles an hour and I can see the town fly by, yet the soft lull of the engine and the smooth turns say otherwise.

I rest my head against the warm car window, feeling the heat of the sun slowly seep through the glass and into Harry's beanie, the warm leather of the seat sticking uncomfortably to the bare skin on my legs.

Exhaustion weighs on my eyelids and I allow them to close. Just as I'm beginning to fall asleep, I feel a warm hand place on my knee. I force my burning eyes to open, looking over at Harry. He doesn't seem to have even known of the movement of his hand. He's still watching the road, face blank in thought as he drives.

His fingers are splayed over my knee, palm resting lightly on my lower thigh as if to reassure himself I'm still here. The feeling comforts me, the warmth from the sunlight and the warmth of his hand inviting me to fall back asleep.

Harry still hasn't spoken a word on where he's driving, but I'm too drained in every way to care. The engine purrs softly below us and finally I give in, allowing myself to slip into unconsciousness.

∘∞∘ ∘∞∘ ∘∞∘ ∘∞∘

"Julia..." A hand lightly rubs at my arm, urging me to wake up. I struggle to drag my eyes open, pushing the fogginess from my mind.

"Wake up, we're here..." Harry murmurs quietly. I whimper quietly in protest, letting my eyes close again. It's quiet for a short pause before I feel the seatbelt slide across me, snapping back into place. A moment later, two hands are sprawled across my knees as they're pulled to the side so I have to sit up, my legs hanging over the edge of the car seat.

I pout my bottom lip out, refusing to open my eyes. I struggle to picture a thin, metal pole in the exact center of my mind, forcing myself to focus on keeping it centered so I don't just fall back into the car seat.

"C'mon, pips. I'll even give you a piggy-back ride." Harry tries and I can hear the smile in his voice. The only reply I can muster is to hold both of my arms, hearing Harry laugh in response.

A moment later I feel his hands grip mine, pulling them over his shoulders. I do the best I can to clasp my hands together, resisting the urge to fall back asleep. I feel his warm hands place on the sides of my knees as he pulls them to rest comfortably above his hips.

I let out a small squeak when he takes a step forwards, the safety of the car seat beneath me replaced by open air. But the feeling of security is immediately restored when his arms loop around my legs as he hoists me higher up on his back. I hear the car door shut behind me but I don't react, burrowing my face into the side of his neck.

I can feel his steps beneath me as we sway lightly, a light breeze pulling at the hair that peeks out from beneath his beanie and tickling my cheeks. I can feel the sun on my back and I can smell Harry's cologne and something else. Harry's steps are silent and I can't seem to identify a solid rhythm in his steps. But then I can place the smell.

The ocean.

I lift my face away from him a bit, forcing my eyes open. Sure enough, Harry is trekking his way across white sand, his eyes fixed on the shimmering water.

I make a silent observation to myself that he must be roasting. He's in skin tight jeans, a black tshirt, and he's carrying me. The only thing that makes it better is he isn't wearing his warm beanie.