Chapter 34 - Take Two

"Arms, take your last embrace. And, lips, O, the doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss. A dateless bargain to engrossing death. Come, bitter conduct, come, unsavoury guide. Thou desperate pilot, now at once, run on the dashing rocks thy seasick, weary bark.." I read quietly to myself.

I turn the page in the old worn book, running my fingers lightly over the crisp, yellowed paper. I have read this same passage countless times to the point if you asked me, I could recite it without a moment's hesitation or a stutter. Another one of my talents that nobody else seems to see the value in. But I still hope for the time I can whip out my knowledge and save the day. Romeo's monologue isn't one to be forgotten.

There's a soft knock on the door and I look up to see Alice slip into the room, plopping onto my bed next to me.

"Whatcha reading?" She asks cheerfully, leaning over to peek at my tattered book.

"Romeo and Juliet." I mumble, nibbling on my thumbnail as I read.

She groans loudly, rolling over to flop onto her back.

"Snooze fest. I had to read it in eight grade. I was ready to throw a party when they finally died."

I gasp in horror, looking over at her with my jaw agape. "How dare you?!" I holler, grabbing my pillow and throwing it at her. She laughs loudly.

"I'm sorry! I just don't see the big deal about some stupid hormonal crazed teens that jump to conclusions too quickly!" I jut out my bottom lip, pouting as I retort childishly. "You're a stupid hormonal crazed teen that jumps to conclusions too quickly."

She giggles, tucking my pillow under her head. "If you could have a sleepover with your favorite book characters, would you?"

I nod slowly to myself at her question, stating dryly. "Ah, yes. Sleeping in a room full of dead people. That's number seven on my bucket list."

She stares at me, aghast.

"What kind of books are you reading?" She whispers, taken aback.

I can't even begin to attempt to conceal the laughter at her horrified expression.

"The good ones." I tease. She rolls her eyes, folding her hands over her chest.

"Who's your favorite book character?" I ask absentmindedly, paying more of my attention to my beloved book in my hands. She thinks for a moment, squinting a little towards the ceiling in thought.

"Probably Edward Cullen."

I groan in reply, slapping my book to cover my face in disgust.

"Oh, come on! The books were so much better!" She defends.

"The title doesn't even make sense!" I say, disgusted as I turn back to my book.

"It does in the book! The movies were crap!"

"He was so overdramatic and annoying." I groan, shaking my head.

"Not in the book!" She moans exasperatedly.

"Read it." She commands, poking my arm.

"No." I shake my head. I refuse to taint my mind with that book.

"I swear. It's better than the movies. You will love it."

I don't reply, trying to redirect my focus to the script.

"I'll reread Romeo and Juliet?" She offers hopefully. I pause. "Fine."

She lets out an excited squeal, rolling off the bed. "I'll go get it!" She enthuses, rushing out of the room. I shake my head, laughing to myself when I hear the a knock on the door downstairs. I sigh, delicately placing my book facedown on my bed before reluctantly leaving my bedroom, jogging down the stairs to open the front door.