16. Just Close Your Eyes

I will let you know when to start the song!

The whole way to the hospital I couldn't stop thinking about two things.

1. Is my mom going to be okay?

2. Who comforted me in the hallway?

Nothing could distract me from my thoughts. The officers turned on the radio and even tried small talk, but it didn't work so they gave up.

Once we reached the hospital the officers rushed me inside. I was wondering why we had to run to the back doors, but then I understood.

A bunch of interviewers, reporters, and paparazzi came around the corner with cameras flickering and clicking.

One of the officers started yelling for them to go away while the other one started pushing me through the doors.

(START THE SONG!)

Once we were inside a nurse came over and led me to my mothers room.

I was expecting a lot of machines and wires with IV's but there wasn't.

I walked in and saw my mom laying in the bed

She looked so different from when I saw her this morning

her light brown hair was stained with blood

Her skin looked pale and fragile

her skin was cut everywhere

she had a huge cut across her face

On her finger was a heart monitor

That's the only machine that she had...

"Why aren't they trying to save you..." I asked softly

"Sweetie, there's nothing more they can do...I told them not to use their supplies on a dead body...others need that stuff...not me...I'm done for"

"Mom...you can't leave me..."

"Honey, you're strong, you'll be okay without me...you know how to handle yourself"

"Of coarse I do, I'm your daughter. But you can't leave me yet"

"I'm afraid I don't have a choice my dear" she shifted uncomfortably in the bed and reached for my hand.

I grabbed her hand and wrapped both of my hands around her fragile yet strong hand.

These were the hands that raised me...

The hands that touched me when I was upset....

The hands that picked me up when I fell....

The hands that fixed my meals until I could do it myself...

The hands that taught me how to write...

The hands that taught me how to wash a dish...

The hands that taught me how to fend for myself...

These are the hands that picked up my broken pieces through every heartbreak...even when dad left...but at least my dad broke my heart before any young boy could...

And now, these are the hands that I'm gonna have to let go of...

I felt a single tear slip down my cheek, her hand raised to wipe it away one last time.

Her hand fell back to its original position as her eyes closed and slowly fluttered back open.

"I understand, just close your eyes. I'll be alright. Nobody can hurt you now, so you'll be alright too. I'll see you again soon"

She smiled and closed her eyes...

Her grip on my hand slowly loosened as the color in her face drained.

Her smile slowly faded

Her hand started to turn cold in my grasp.

"At least she's safe now."I kept telling myself

There was a beeping sound that turning into a ringing, signaling that she had passed.

I smiled sadly and kissed her hand.

I stood up and leaned over to kiss her forehead just like she used to do to me when she tucked me in bed at night...

Doctors rushed in, I quietly left the room.

I walked down the hall and out of the building.

The paparazzi and reporters were still try to get in the back door so it was an easy escape for me.

As soon as I was out of the building, I ran.

I was sprinting

I kept running for as long as I could.

The stinging pain in my lungs hurt but not as much as the pain in my heart...

Who knew that when something upsets you so much, that you actually feel pain in your chest and stomach...

The hospital is at least 20 miles from my house, I just passed a grocery store that I believe is 17 miles from my house.

There's no way I can run all the way to my house...

I tried to slow my pace but my leg ended up giving out and I fell.

I hit my head on the ground...

Hard...

I remember my phone ringing but I couldn't seem to have the energy to reach for it.

It rang three separate times but I still didn't answer.

Everything was starting to fade...

...

...then I saw car head lights

The car came to a stop a few feet away.

"Oh goodness! Hold on! Jeez you're head is bleeding so much!" The person said as they lifted me up and carried me to their car.

My vision was too faded to see who this person was...

All I know is...

...it's a boy...