New Rules, Four

Chairman Alexander's Mansion (unedited)

"Sean killed Leah?" Will asked, feeling both shocked and angry. He didn't know the ex-Vorpal well, but he- as did everyone else- knew that Sean was a dangerous individual.

"I'm going to fucking murder that son of a bitch!" Gareth seethed. He subconsciously reached for his sword that leaned against the table beside him.

"Calm down, Gareth." Doreen said with paramount calmness.

Gareth slammed his free fist against the table top and said, "Calm down? How the fuck am I suppose to calm down, knowing that some lunatic bastard killed my sister and traumatised my little brother!"

Will winced at Gareth's heartfelt words. They, the Vorpals, weren't necessarily related by blood, but they were raised together and they raised each other. They were more than just comrades and partners; they were undeniably family.

Will winced even more when he saw the pained look on Cass's face. Cass was their latest member, but he'd been partnered with Leah since the very first day he'd joined them. That had been nearly eight years ago...

Will looked at Nathan, who'd transitioned from his 'normal quiet' to his 'deathly quiet' mode. Will had been partners with Nathan since they were seven. They'd trained together, fought with each other occasionally, completed their first assassination together and moved out together. Nathan had been there every step of the way.

The thought of losing Nathan soured Will's soul.

Will scooted his seat a little closer to his friend.

"You think I'm not angry?" Doreen challenged, "Do you think you're the only one who wants to see Sean go through the most terrible torture conceivable?"

Gareth's expression hardened but he said nothing. Shelly patted her partner on the shoulder and looked at Cass.

He was sitting next to his designated seat; he was on Leah's chair.

Shelly asked, "So your story ended with you being Sean and his crew's punching bag. Tell us, how did you get here?" Her choice of words darkened Cass's face.

Will was horrified, but impressed. Shelly could be a real lunatic at times, but that didn't mean she was a stupid lunatic.

"Sean brought him here," The Chairman said with certainty, "After hearing Cassius's story, I'm quite certain that Sean has obtained a high-level mobility power, one that can even outrun Leah's Zephyr. Also-" he glanced at Cass, "Show them."

Cass stood and unwrapped the bandages that wrapped most of his right forearm. As the yellowing bandages fell and his pinkish skin came into view, Will saw the words.

A message had been carved into the skin of Cass's arm with a knife. It read: Another one by seven days- S.

"WHAT THE FUCK?!" Gareth practically threw himself off his chair and ran to Cass's side, "That bastard fucking did this to you. That bastard DID THIS TO YOU!" He screamed whilst staring at Cass's mangled arm in unholy anger.

"Calm down, Gareth," Monique said quietly. She looked composed, but her black-nailed fingers drummed angrily on the table. 

She's plotting, Will thought, that's never a good sign.

"Yes, calm down, Gareth," The Chairman said imperatively, "For I'm going to announce the new rules effective immediately after this meeting." Then, in a much warmer tone, he added, "We can talk about killing Sean after that."

Matthew, who'd been busy typing away at his phone, finally spoke up, "Alright guys, I've sent to you all the points of today's meeting. We'll go through each and every one of them together."