Chapter 12: Come Fly with Me

You do realize that you have to fix this, right? You have to fix it before he leaves. HALEY! Fix. This. Now. I sighed and got up off the couch. I skipped to the door and took my jacket that I threw on the little table and unlocked the door. I slipped on my Vans that I left here from when I went to Mark's house and ran out the door. I ran as fast as I could to Niall's house and got to his door out of breath. I rang the bell and tapped my foot impatiently. "Hello, Haley? What're you doing here, hon? Niall left half an hour ago." Maura said surprised. 

"Really? I missed him..." I sighed heavily. "I have to go, I'll see you later? Bye I love you guys. Really a lot!" 

"Bye dear, we love you too?" Maura said questionably as  I ran back home. 

When I was running back to my house I called Niall repeatedly. He didn't answer so either he was ignoring me or already on the plane. I wanted to believe he was on the plane but I knew he was probably ignoring me. "ELIZA!" I screamed when I got back into my house. "Eliza! Come out, we have to talk!" 

I heard the door unlock but nobody came out. She unlocked the door but won't come out. I took to the stairs, two at a time, up the small flight of 13 steps. I got to my door and walked in slowly. "So what did his mom say?" 

"You knew he was already on the plane and you let me run to his house?" 

"You deserved it, the way you treated him. Remember when I said you two were meant for each other and I couldn't see anybody else with you guys but each other? Well, you don't deserve him right now, Hale. You really fucked up this time." 

"Eliza, I know! My life is just to overwhelming for me to handle."

"Oh, Haley, shut up! I'm not buying this crap, just-"

"I really didn't want to have to mention this to you, since you're so protective of me and you just want me to be the confident, arrogant Haley I was in 6th grade, but in 8th grade this girl Brooke took me under her wing and 'helped' me become popular. I dropped two sizes and wore pink and lots of make-up. I was belimic. One day my mom called Niall's mom and he came over and just ate with me. When I regained my normal weight the girls dumped me and I had no friends again. Ever since then I've been self conscious and less confident about myself. Over the summer I hung out with Niall a lot but I also spent some time with Mark and a few mutual friends." 

"Haley-" 

"Let me finish. Eventually I hung out with Mark a few times alone and it was great because he didn't act weird or anything. He acted like a best friend would, like we've known each other for years. It was nice and I always kind of liked him a little. This year he asked me out and I obviously accepted. The only thing that changed between us was that we kissed. He was the greatest boyfriend until about a week or two ago when we we started having arguments. He started to think I liked Niall, which I did but not so much that I would break up with Mark and try and date Niall even though he had Kara. We had a few arguments but at the end of the day we still loved each other. Liz, I loved Mark. Yeah, stupid freshman girl loves him. Psh, whatever. I didn't love him like I wanted to marry him. I loved him like a high school relationship love. He wasn't too handsy and he liked me for all my insecurites."

"Haley! I-"

"Liz, wait. Up until he hit me, I did love Mark. The only thing that drove me away from forgiving him was Niall. He cuddled me and let me cry to him. That reminded me that I loved Niall too. Seeing him on the stage and knowing that I wanted him but had to let him leave me. It's hard to take in all in less than a week! I'm not the same Haley you met in 6th grade, I'm insecure, self-conscious, no confidence Haley. Having all of this happen in under a week is stressful for me. I barely slept lately! I went back to Mark because I was with him before all of this happened. It was relaxing and easier with him. Me making out with him was an accident. It was my fault, he kept telling me I'd regret it, and I do. A lot."