two | stranger

He looked out of place

He looked out of place. He looked lost. He looked like he didn't belong.

He came with suitcases, an exhausted complexion, and a heavy heart. But he also came with a yearning for something extraordinary, something different.

I watched him ask for directions, his brow creased and his lip turned into a uncertain frown. I watched as he was pointed in the direction of the hill. He nodded his thanks and went on his way.

I continued my business, selling beautiful bouquets to customers. They flocked in with bright smiles, wanting meaningful flowers with silk sashes wrapped around their stems.

Spring was such a wonderful, spectacular time. New life, fresh starts.

I particularly enjoyed escaping the village to wander around the nearby forest. In the mornings, when the sun had barely risen and the wildlife still asleep, the grass would be sparkling with dew drops; the flowers standing silent, waiting for the breeze to rise from slumber. I'd see the occasional newborns of rabbits and birds and even deer if I was lucky.

Nature is so beautiful.

Being a florist was a dream come true. The other kids at school used to tease me for it, saying how boring flowers were and that it wasn't a proper job.

I ignored them.

Of course.

It was the wisest decision if I didn't want to succumb to the pressure of others.

I don't seek anybody else's approval for what I want to do in my life. Especially now that my business is successful and I know that I'm spreading joy around the village one flower at a time. My grandmother always used to say that flowers were the embodiment of happiness and as far as I know she was right.

Noon soon came. The sun was high in the sky, the clouds nowhere to be seen, and cool breezes blew through the streets.

It was then I saw him walk past, hands in his trouser pockets, shoulders haunched, keeping himself to himself. He paused abruptly outside my shop window, gazing in and scanning the array of flowers and plants on display. I saw that straight lip turn upward and I smiled, too, before turning to see to a customer.

I glanced briefly to the window as I tied an ivory ribbon in a perfect bow. He was still there.

Still admiring.

But for a long moment, his eyes shifted from the flowers as he raked his hand through his auburn hair, the sunlight catching it like fire. The light also casted shadows over his handsome face, accentuating his cheekbones like a stone statue's, yet doing nothing in making his skin paler than it already was. He looked like he was ill, but nevertheless, he was still handsome.

We locked gazes and I smiled warmly, trying to ease the apprehension that was evident through his facial expression and body language.

His eyes, pale and curious, lingered fleetingly. However, he quickly looked away and set off walking down the street without gazing back.

I shook my head, carrying on with tying the ribbons. But with each knot I created, my mind couldn't help but wander.

Who was he?

Why was he here?

I'd never seen him before and nobody I knew had mentioned ever getting a visitor who would be staying.

It wasn't until later in the day that I spoke to Robert Williams, who was the one giving directions to the stranger. He told me that he was moving into Old Farm.

"That's a courageous move," I had laughed. "Anyone wanting to sort that lot out must be mad."

Robert smiled in return. "Perhaps. He seems a nice lad. Unusually quiet, though. He sounded nervous, twitchy. I'm sure we'll see him around."

Nervous and twitchy. My sentiments exactly.

Nice and quiet. Just the kind of person who would fit in around here.

But it was his fleeting glance that stuck in my mind.

I had never met a stranger so intriguing.