six | letter

The morning sky was something I never grew tired of seeing

There was always a different one every morning and you never knew what beauty you would behold.

On this particular day, the early morning sky was like an expertly crafted watercolour painting. Soft hues swept their way across as far as the eye could see. Brilliant blues, gorgeous purples, gentle pinks, and blazing oranges all merging with the yellow light of the rising sun created such a breathtaking sight. I could barely keep my mouth closed from being in such awe of the charm and power or nature.

I lay in the blanket bundle of bed and stared out of the window, smiling at the sight that greeted me as I awoke. I would quite happily stay here all day, but I had customers to see today and it was unfortunate that the sky wouldn't stay so magnificent.

I reluctantly got out of bed and got dressed before making my way downstairs to get some breakfast. I'd tied my hair up into a high ponytail, so that it was out of my face and wore one of my more warmer dresses that was pink and patterned in pretty little flowers.

I was annoyed when I began to smell my toast burning and when I pulled it out of the toaster, I screwed my face up in a displeased fashion at the seared slice. I'd ruined perfectly decent fresh bread.

I didn't bother to rectify my error either. I thought it'd be easier to take an apple and then get something from the nearest café during my lunch break.

And that's exactly what I was going to do.

I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl on the kitchen table before getting my coat from the hallway and slipping on my shoes, then leaving the house with a skip in my step.

Today was going to be a good day.

The village was cloaked in a dewy mist, causing the last of the colourful dawn to become grey as it waited for the sun to rise high in order for it to fade into blue.

There were a few people roaming the streets already. They all smiled at me as I passed them on the way to my shop. Luckily for me, I only lived around the corner, but it always brought me joy when I walked past the fountain.

I have fond memories of sitting besides it in the summer, throwing a penny into its cool waters to hear it plopping before reaching in to retrieve the penny and doing it again. It brought me so much amusement as a child and my parents would let me sit there for hours having fun with nothing but an old, essentially worthless coin.

Before I got to the shop front, I took my keys from my pocket and unlocked the door, the little bell above tinkling sweetly. I was shocked to have almost stepped on a folded slip of paper that was on the floor and that must have been posted through the letterbox. I never usually got mail so early.

As the door closed, I bent down to pick it up, turning it over to see elegant writing dancing across the page. It read:

Miss Mayhew,

My name is Edgar Bailey and I have moved to the countryside due to ongoing and rather negative personal circumstances in the city. I seek a quieter and better life in Maplebrook and I'm certain I'll find one. I love it here already.

I'm sorry about yesterday. I wanted to answer your questions in detail, but I physically couldn't. I have had a debilitating stutter since I was a small child and I decided for the best that I would not speak at all. If it was at all feasible. And only to a rare few, of course.

I hope you understand and I hope that I haven't put you off. It's hard to find friends when you can't talk to them.

Best wishes,
The City Boy from Old Farm

I smiled softly. He definitely wasn't ignorant. I would never have guessed that he had a stammer, but I suppose that means I'm ignorant.

Edgar.

The name floated around in my mind. Unusual for a man of his age, yet so intriguing and modern in its own right. I very much admired it and (oddly enough) it hinted to a gentle personality.

The poor man's anxiety was evident throughout his letter, particularly the last paragraph, which made me feel rather gloomy. He didn't want sympathy- that was blatant. He wanted acceptance, a welcoming with open arms.

Something I knew I could help with.