The Confession

Max age: 11

David's age: 25

I honestly don't know, this is kind of a vent. 

Max POV:

A sense of Déjà vu washed over me as Gwen, David and I were eating lunch in the Mess Hall as a proper family surrounded by the families of other campers. Neil, on the table beside me, seemed happy with himself and his mother who was sitting with him at the table not embarrassing him. 

Parents day this year seemed to be a lot quieter than last year with all the parents knowing that this summer camp wasn't that legit. For some reason, everyone from last year came and there were a few knew faces. Contrary to David's belief, people didn't keep coming to Camp Campbell because everything about it was wonderful but probably for the same reason I wanted to come. I couldn't deny that Camp Campbell had a certain charm with how terrible everything in it was and with the people who decided to come, but I would never want David to know. 

"Hey Max..... we've got something to tell you," Gwen said snapping me out of my thoughts. 

Hey face was solemn as if it bore bad news. 

"What?" I asked. 

Did she find out that I was the one who stole her phone and beat all her highscores in every game? Did David tell her I put purple dye in Lake Lilac? I knew I was going to be punished but still kept my cool and acted like I didn't care. 

"This family isn't like the others here. You are not like everyone else here," she explained.

From her tone, it seemed like she was going to reveal a massive secret she and David had kept for years. It must've been big. 

"What the hell are you talking about Gwen?" I asked in fake annoyance. 

"Max....," David chimed in with the same solemn expression, "you're adopted."

Why was she's stating things I already knew? 

"What does that have to do with anything?" I almost yelled. 

David's serious face broke into little smirks. That was when I got it was a joke. 

"Wow he took it better than I expected," Gwen commented. 

David couldn't contain his laughter anymore and it just all went through the entire room making everyone stare. 

"You guys suck." The joke wasn't even funny. 

"I know this must be hard for you to take in but we're not you're real parents," Gwen said while snickering every fourth word. 

"It's not even funny."

"You're still a son to us and always will be. You're just not our ......biological son," she explained. 

"I'mgonnafuckingmurderbothofyouwhensummerisoverisweartogod."

Meh