Chapter 1 - His black hair swallowed any stray rays of light

Today's the day it happens, I finally turn seventeen. I've waited so long for many reasons. Even though it's not a big number, to me any age is an accomplishment in life. It means I've reached this far and that I've got more adventures ahead. Something big could big waiting around the corner, you just never know.

I slip on my school shirt and skirt, making them somewhat neat so I wouldn't look so wrecked. I can see it in the mirror, the heavy bags and the brown locks that were falling out of my bun. Everything wasn't coming together today, I can definitely tell it wasn't going to be easy to get through.

"Ava, come down already. Breakfast isn't going to feed itself to you."

I wish I could just crawl back into bed and ignore everything and everyone. I just feel so drained today, like someone forgot to put me on charge over night. I was basically on two percent right now. Adding to the fact that I have no patience for my mum.

Glancing at the mirror one last time, I drag my black Nike bag off the top of my oak dresser. Here goes nothing.

I live in this house with a total of four other people. Maria, my mum, Teya, my younger sister and Lianna, the eldest of twenty four. We are normal when it comes to house gatherings, or celebration events but when it's just us, we are very boring. Nothing interesting happens in our home. We either have school or work and never speak to one another. It gets lonely I will admit but we get by everyday. That's the thing that matters in the Rivers household.

Releasing the thoughts out of my skull, I head downstairs before I could get into trouble by Maria. The smell of cooked egg and bacon wafted in the air, creating grumbles for my stomach to voice.

Seconds after you could hear the soft steps of Teya as she walked through the kitchen archway.

"Morning mum."

I watched intensely as Maria spun around with a spatula in hand while holding a warm, welcoming smile.

"Good morning dear, sleep alright?"

Of course she did, she sleeps too much. Not once have I seen her awake past ten, always sleeping.

"Actually I didn't, my stomach was really cramping up last night. I may have eaten something wrong yesterday."

It's like she wants someone to feel sympathy for her. I personally don't want anything to do with her pitched whining.

I could see the worried look from Maria, already guessing what she will say. Something any kind of mother would say to her sick child.

I watch closely as she touches her cheek with love and rub her thumb against her skin.

"Teya if you still feel sick, just stay home for today. I'll call up the school and inform them, don't push yourself too hard, okay?"

She nearly nods and leans in for a hug. Looking from afar, you would think I was an outcast. I am never involved with them, it's like I don't exist in their eyes. I'm always in my own world, without them. It's better than being pushed away or ignored.

Finishing my meal I scrub my plate and dry it with the tea towel by the sink. Once dried, I place it in the cupboard with the other plates. The steps of Maria stopped next to me, her pink slippers in view.

"When are you leaving?"

It was odd that she was talking to me, she never did. Only when I had to do a job for her. This was different, frankly I didn't like any of it.

"Soon."

It took her a while to reply but nevertheless, it was another question.

"When are you coming back?"