Chapter 3

~ Luke ~

The truck bounced and jerked from dropping off the curb. I flicked my eyes to the rearview mirror to make sure they didn't follow us.

"I understand why you failed your test..." Lucy said as she gripped onto the door handle.

"We're alive aren't we? Besides I panicked with those guys there..." I swerved around cars parked in the street in front of houses.

I slowed down as we passed a small family packing up their car from the light of a street light. I was about to stop, but remembered what that guy said so I sped back up. People were in their houses with their lights on, living like nothing was happening. They don't know the severity of present events or that their home can be next.

"Didn't they watch the news? Our house couldn't have been the only one broken into."

I stopped at a stop sign and was about to accelerate when a truck sped by going to the left. The truck jolted to a stop as I hit the brake. Lucy squealed before covering her face in her hands.

"Lunatic... you alright Luce?" I tried to slow my own heartbeat.

"Just go please... let's get to the cabin and to Pa and Ma." She said from behind her hands.

The truck pulled forward and followed the reckless driver's path. This road was dark. No lights, no people, and smoke was in the headlights. I turned on the brights, but that didn't help much.

The orange glow from the city was bigger and the smoke was forming above like thick clouds. The change in visibility with one turn was surprising. "I can barely see a thing..." I continued forward and turned right.

"Keep going straight and you'll head out of town to the backroads. Then it's a fifteen minute drive to the cabin." Lucy rested her head against the window. I sighed and focused on the road as we broke through the smoke.

A figure stood in the road. Lucy leaned up as I stopped the truck. The figure limped slowly towards us.

"Oh my god... Luke! He's hurt!" She started to unbuckle, "we gotta help hi-"

"Stay in the truck."

I put it in park, grabbed the bat and opened the door.

"Are you going to hit him?! He's dying! We need to get him help Lucas!"

I glared at her. "I said stay in the truck!" My voice was harsh and loud. It made Lucy jump and she quieted down.

"Stay here. I need to check something." I shut the door and walked toward the man who was getting closer.

"Be careful..." Lucy said through a slightly cracked window.

My palms got clammy as I inched closer to the man, or what seemed like a man.

He was just as the robber described; sickly looking, blood covered his clothes and his eyes were glazed with a cloudy film. There wasn't an accident nearby that I could see, so maybe this is just a freak coincidence and he's a human who needs bad medical treatment.

"Maybe I'm being filmed and this is all one big joke. If this is a TV show, this is a bit extreme."

But my cautious side kicked in.

"Make sure. You have to see for yourself."

"S-sir, are you OK?" The man didn't reply, just kept walking my way.

As he got closer, I saw more of this man. There was blood everywhere on his body, not just his clothes. It's like he was blasted by paintball guns...full of blood. In fact, this is what I envisioned someone to look like after devouring another living creature.