Reward

Keiji wasn't there when Shino entered the kitchen that morning, but someone else was. Iwasaki Kido spoke in what could only be called an excitable manner into the phone, holding a cup of freshly brewed coffee in his hand. Her father said his goodbyes to whoever he was talking to when he saw her come in.

"Tou-san?" Shino said quizzically. "Why aren't you at work?"

"Well," Kido said, a small smile on his face as he examined his daughter's stoic features. "I know we only just bought the house, kiddo, but good news! If everything works out, we'll be moving to America by next week!"

Shino froze. "A... America? No."

Kido's smile faltered. "No?"

"No," Shino repeated firmly. "I don't want to go."

Bemused, Kido circled her, rubbing his chin. "There's something different about you lately..."

"We hardly see each other when it's not a weekend," Shino pointed out.

His face softened. "I know, and I'm sorry about that. Work commitments, you know? Sweetheart, why don't you want to come to America? You're a smart kid—you'll learn English fast. I know you will." It's not like she has any attachments here, right? Ever since her brain got smashed, she's been so detached... So why doesn't she want to leave?

"It's not that," Shino said. "I've already made a commitment to something."

"Eh?!" Commitment?! Since when did my daughter make commitments?

"The boy's volleyball team. I'm their manager. And they're my..." Shino trailed off.

"Friends?" Kido offered uncertainly. Could it... could it be? "Am I right? I'm right, aren't I?" His smile returned to his face. "Sweetheart...!" He wrapped his arms around her in a hug that she did not reciprocate. "I got you, kid. I don't have to reply until June, anyway, so I can put it off for a while before I say no to their offer." He stood back from her and rubbed the back of his head. "But since I'm now technically out of a job since I resigned yesterday... your mother's going to be the sole money bringer in the house until I find another job." Kido chuckled. "Speaking of... since America's now out of the question, your cousin's going to come visit!"

"... Huh?" Shino blinked. She hadn't heard any mention of this before.

"Ahaha, about that..." Kido uttered. "My sister—your first aunt—is going overseas on the weekend and the plan was supposed to be her son staying with us until she gets back. Of course, since I thought that we'd be moving, I had to refuse... but now he can come over!"

"I... I see." Shino continued to stare at her father. "I should eat and get going now."

"Ah, of course. Volleyball. Don't let me keep you."

So she didn't, giving Pochi a pat on the head before she grabbed a piece of buttered toast her mother had left for her in the oven and left the house. As usual, Kindaichi and Kunimi were waiting outside her gate.

"What took you so long?" Kindaichi asked as they set off to school.

"Nothing, really," Shino replied, taking a bite out of her toast. "Just an unexpected visitor." She paused. "That and my cousin will be coming over for the weekend, so I probably won't be able to make it for training."

"We don't normally go to those, anyway," Kunimi said. "It's optional... and we prefer using the weekend for more... useful things."

"You mean like lounging around?" Kindaichi teased. "Because that's all we did last weekend..."

"Give me a break, summer's coming."

"Strange, I was under the impression that most animals hibernate during winter," Shino said musingly.