Chapter 1

This story of mine starts in Germany. It is February, 1938. My mother, Liesel who is my younger sister, my brother, and I, Klara, are all on our way to my new family. Mama couldn't keep us. There was no money for 3 kids and she is a communist. I don't know what it is but I know it's dangerous to be one right now. We sit there, cramped and tired, with Liesel singing a lullaby until she suddenly stops in the middle of the song. I turn to look at her and see that she was staring at something else. Our brother. He was dead.

My brother was barely 5 years old. We all stand around his grave sadly. My mama says auf wiedersehen (when we see again) and then turns to walk away. I follow, but not before I catch Liesel picking up the dropped book of the man digging the grave. Soon we arrive at the station where Mama leaves us, probably forever.

Liesel and I get into a car with a kind woman and we drive off. She continuously tries to reassure us that what Mama did was for the best and although I know that, I doubt Liesel understands this at her age. I don't think any child can understand why their mother would leave them. Soon the woman gives up and the rest of the car ride is silent until we arrive on Himmel Street. There were kids playing ball in the street and in the distance I saw a couple standing outside with an umbrella over their heads. The car pulled up next to them.

"Here we are. Come Liesel, Klara. Meet your new parents. Come" the woman spoke as she got out of the car to greet the couple.

The man was tall and had long features. The woman was short and had rounder ones. Opposites. But clearly this was a case of "opposites attract". I heard him introduce himself as Hans Hubermann. The woman from the car introduced herself is Heinrich. She shook hands with our new mama, whom did not give her name in return. Hans walked over to the car to see us. He waved through the back window. I waved back but Liesel turned away, shy.

He walked back over to his wife and she approached the car. She seemed like a more serious person.

"Where is the boy?" I heard her say after she took a look in the car. Liesel just held onto me. I was sat in the corner farthest from them so I couldn't leave until she did.

"He died"

"What do you mean?" Hans asked.

"On the way here. They had to bury him by the tracks." It still hurt, thinking about the fact that I had to leave my brother. I'd probably never find where he was buried.

"They promised us 3 children with 3 allowences." She stated angrily, beginning to resemble a tomato.

"Rosa, you cannot blame the boy for dying" Hans reasoned with her.

"No. I blame his mother. Dragging them across the country unfed, unwashed."

"She was running for her life" Hans tried reasoning again.

"Have you seen those girls? Filthy. Everything they say about communists is true. Dirty and stupid." she continued.

I wish mama wasn't a communist. Maybe then she could have kept us. Hans shushed her which didn't get a nice response out of Rosa.

"I'll speak as loud as I want." she said before approaching the car again.

"Come" she said while motioning for us to follow her. Liesel just moved closer to me.

"Come on Liesel. We have to go to our new home." I told her but she just shook her head.

"Come!" Rosa repeated more forcefully, this time specifically directing her words at Liesel.

"What is the matter with her?" she asked Hans exasperatedly.

He then approached the car again with the umbrella and said "Your majesty" while holding his hand out. This caused Liesel to step out of the car with him and I followed.

"What are you brats looking at? Saukerl" I heard Rosa say. I turned toward the groups of boys playing soccer and saw a particular boy with very light hair, staring at Liesel. I'll have to keep an eye on him.

"This is Heaven Street. Your new home" Hans said.

When we entered. I noticed that Hans had taken both of our suitcases. They were small. Mama couldn't afford much for us.

"Please, go in." he told us while giving a little push on our backs.

We looked around at the house. It was small, but cozy. It looked nice. I would be happy living here. Well, as happy as I can be when my brother just died and my mother left me. But I still have Liesel. She is not only my sister, but my best friend. It didn't matter that I was much older than her. She was 11, almost 12 and I am 19. We did everything together anyways. I still had the same young spirit as her's. Also, I know 19 seems old to be adopted at but I needed a safe home too and I wasn't about to leave my family.

Rosa came out from a room behind us. She opened her hand to us which contained 2 sugar cubes.

"Well, go on."

I went to take one from her and she shut her hand.

"What do you say?" she asked us.

"danke. (thank you)"

She gave me my sugar cube but looked at Liesel expectantly. When she said nothing, Rosa turned to Hans.

"They have given us a mute. Only one of them knows how to speak." she said then walked away, annoyed with Liesel.

"Go upstairs" Hans told us and he followed suit.

We started unpacking. I unpacked my own case and Hans unpacked Liesel's for her as she watched on one of the beds. She was still somewhat unsure of them. When he finished he closed her case, showed her the sugar cube and then quickly slammed his hands down onto the case.

"Which one?"

Liesel paused for a second and then chose.

"That one" she pointed at his right hand.

Nothing. He lifted the left one to reveal the sugar cube. Liesel smiled slightly, looking up at him.

"It's for you."

She grabbed it and as she did, Rosa called for him.

"Ja, my sunshine" he called back before going downstairs.

"Liesel." I called to her.

When she looked at me I continued.

"I'll take the smaller bed. You should be more comfortable in the big one. I don't care about what bed I sleep in. Okay?" This earned me a nod in reply.

"I know it's strange, to be living in a new place, but I promise you it will soon feel like home, and they will feel like our mama and papa. It'll just take time Liesel." I assured her.

Soon we were in bed. I had almost fallen asleep when I heard Liesel singing again. It was the lullaby she was singing when our brother died. She was crying too. I didn't say anything though. No words could take the pain away. Only time could.