one

Lucas:
I was playing with Harmony at the park near the apartment. She was playing in the sandbox and threw sand at my face.

"Hey! How is that fair?"
"Daddy sandy!"

I squinted my eyes at her causing her to giggle. I picked her up and put her on my shoulders and ran around the park listening to her laugh. I put her down on the grass with one of her toys as my phone began to ring.

"Kar, what's up?"
"You need to get home."
"Woah, what's going on?"
"Hurry."

Before I can say anything else she hangs up and I'm forced to accept it. I put Harmony's toys in her bag and pick her up. We walk back to the apartment.

"Stop!"
"What?"
"Me walk."

I put her down in front of the front door and help her up the stairs. I open the door and she runs in to Karen.

"What was so important? She was having fun."
"She-"
"Hi Lucas."

Maya walks into the room looking radiant and healthy. I drop the bag and run to her. I pick her up and spin her around. We kiss passionately until Harmony tugs on my shirt.

Maya:
I look down to see a beautiful little girl and smile.

"Daddy, is that mommy?"

Lucas looks at me and smiles.

"Yes, Harmony this is Mommy."

He hands her to me and I hold her in my arms. My eyes begin to water as she smiles at me. She gives me a big hug and I return it. I look into Lucas's eyes and I feel happy.

"You've been asleep a long time Mommy."
"I bet I have."

I set her down on the couch and kneel infront of her.

"How old are you sweetie?"
"Daddy says I'm 1 and a half but I don't know what the half is."

Tears form in my eyes and she wipes them away. I chuckle and kiss her forehead. Karen takes her hand and walks her into the kitchen to get a snack. I stand up.

"How are you feeling right now?"
"Overwhelmed."
"It's mutual."

I look at him somewhat confused but ignore it.

Lucas:

"She looks just like you."
"Yeah..."

She looks at the ground forlornly.

"What's going on in that pretty head?"

She looks up at me with so many emotions.

"I missed a whole year of life. Sorry a year and a half. Of her life. Everyone's. Mine..."
"Maya I know it's hard to think about but you're back now. That's what matters."
"But everything's different now. She can walk! I missed her first birthday, your 18th birthday! Her first steps, her first words.."
"Maya.."
"Everything's different now and I have no idea what to do about it."

I try to give her a hug but she just walks into the kitchen and forces a smile for Harmony.

Karen: Days later.
I give Maya a big hug and we smile. She's been back for a few days now and I wanted some awnsers to the questions in my head. We sat in the living room with Harmony. She was watching something on tv.

"Maya can I ask you some questions?"
"Heh sure."

She smiles at me.

"I wanted to wait to ask until you were more comfortable being back."
"I get it, it's fine. Go ahead."
"Okay, can I ask you how it felt?"

She ponders for a minute and then awnsers.

"I don't remember what happened before everything went black other than saying I love you both. Once everything went black I got really cold and everything was quiet. But I remember hearing voices and feeling you guys touching me."
"So it's like you were in a coma?"
"Kind of. I couldn't hear you guys completely or feel you guys totally but I knew one of you was there sometimes. I'm assuming Lucas was a lot."

Maya:
Karen's smile faded slowly before she spoke.

"I'm so sorry it happened, I really did try to keep everything alright for as long as possible."
"It's okay Kar."
"Do you feel any different now than you did before?"
"Like physically?"
"Sure, and mentally I guess."

I glanced at Harmony and then looked back at Karen.

"I feel stronger. Like I could stop a bus with one hand, although I'm sure I can't really. Mentally I just feel more capable. I think my powers might be growing."
"That's good! It took ya long enough."

She elbows me and we both chuckle. Harmony walks over to Karen.

"Auntie, can I have some juice?"
"Why don't you ask mommy?"

She looks at me and I smile faintly.

"Mommy can I have some juice?"
"Sure baby. What kind? Apple or Grape?"
"Gape."
"You're definitely getting your taste from Auntie huh?"

I get her juice from the kitchen and come back to see her sitting on Karen's lap giggling. I take a deep breath and force a smile but Karen sees right through it.

"Here baby."

She takes her cup and sits in front of the tv.

"It's like you said, takes getting used to. It's the same for her. She's not used to you being here and being awake."
"I know, I just..I wish.."

Karen takes my hand in hers and smiles.

"Want to hear something?"
"Sure."
"As soon as Harmony could see and hear properly he would bring her over to you every morning and every night and talk about you to her."
"He did?"
"Even though you couldn't awnser them or say anything he wanted her to know she has a mother."

I smile.

"Thank you for telling me that."
"You needed to hear it."