Rain

Hey! You've reached the most boring book ever. But don't give up keep reading, because that one little touch at the star on this page can make this book so much better. Listen to the above song its so beautiful.

Oh and thank you for existing!!
Good day.

Not edited

"And tonight, they make love, but this time, beyond bodies"

~WolfWomanWriter

                                ●●●

Listen to Skinny Love by Birdy.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"I'm never coming home again", I yelled one last time as I got out of the house in the rain. I love my mom. I really do. More than anyone else. But sometimes I could not bear her bitch fit. Today it became too much.

"Don't come again. I don't need an irresponsible son like you", she yelled back. "Fine by me", I shouted and walked to my spot, which is not more than 20 feet from my house. I sat down at the large stone and sighed. I feel like I'm done with everything. I looked up and saw fireflies swarming the lamppost in front of me. It was 7:51 pm according to my phone. I haven't eaten since all day. Now it's raining and I'm broke. Everything's perfect. This lamppost was at the center of our street, right where 4 streets meet. Like a spotlight. Thinking back, we do pretty much everything here. Playing cricket, watching movies and whatnot, talking about girls, fighting oh that happens very often. The boys in the street were my family and I never give up on them. But now they were relaxing in their homes with their tummies filled. I sighed once more and the rain picked up its speed now.

I must have zoned out for a very long time because only now I notice someone sitting beside me.

It was a girl. A girl. So random. What is she doing here? This was my spot. My brother Yousuf and my friend Shahir would hang out with me here often. But still it remained as my spot. I looked at the girl again. She was wearing an old hoodie and some comfortable track pants. The tiny water droplets from heaven fell on her hair and made it look like she was wearing a clear pearl crown. She looked at me for a second and then stared ahead. And suddenly it clicked. She was the girl from the street across from ours. I've seen her once or twice. When she plays shuttle with her sister, when she lets her hair down to dry standing on her terrace, or when she cleans her bike or when...
Okay I may have seen her a couple of times. But what is she doing here??

I cleared my throat to draw her attention but she didn't budge. Okay time to use my voice. "Hey not to be rude, but what are you doing here? This is my spot", I asked her as my mom was completely leaving my senses. "I'm here for some fresh air", she replied, a few minutes later,not bothering to look at me and completely ignoring that she was sitting in my kingdom. It was raining and she was here for fresh air, my foot. It sounded funny in my brain but I didn't laugh because I'm not a laugh or smile kind of guy. I only smirk.

The rain was now like music to my ears. Not heavy not light. Just how I like it. It was drizzling and some alien part of me -that I thought never existed- thought she looked calm and and and.....? What was that word. I started shaking my legs like I always do when I'm thinking. Hmm. What was that word which defined her now like now when she scrunched her nose when a drop of rain fell on her nose. I was growing impatient that I couldn't find the word.

Suddenly had looked at me. Shit. She caught me staring at her. How about digging a hole and burying myself here??

"Music?", she asked. I was confused until I saw her thin fingers holding me a earpiece. I liked music. So I took it from her and placed it inside my ear adjusting the buds. The radio was on, playing a commercial ad. But I can hear the silence. She broke it. "Are you sad", she cocked her head looking at me. I don't know what she was seeing in me. Probably a sad, tired guy with dull eyes. I simply nodded. "Why" she said. It was not a question. I turned to her but she was staring ahead.

I was about to open my mouth but she continued, so I stopped. "You know what? You don't have to tell me. We've just met", she said now looking at me. I said not a word.

There was a sweet tune in my ears signalling the beginning of the program on the radio. The radio jockey was talking something about how people fall in love and how quick they fall out of it. Soon a song started playing.

Love is like butterfly
Playing hide and seek in lives
Once its here sometimes its gone
I'm waiting for the rain to drizzle on my eyelashes
And to drench my broken heart upon

She laughed. Just a laugh. But it sounded pure. Like someone made a goofy face at a crying child and it laughs kind of laugh. Somehow it sounded more melodic than the song. Damn I don't talk like that. "Do you see how stupid the song seemed?", she asked.
"That was so lame. Who even writes songs like this anymore?"

This was the longest sentence she spoke to me.

I shrugged. I'm a man of few words.

A smile comfortably rested on her lips. They were beautifully shaped. Like a crescent.

"Have you been in love?", she asked as she looked at the stars now. The rain has stopped a while ago and now the sky was quite clear, the moon playing hide and seek in the pitch black sky.
"Yes", I told her.

"How did it feel like to be in love?"

"Don't you know?"

"I've never been in love. I don't think I'll ever be"

"Its pure bliss. Love is. Sometimes it's scary. When you love someone you give a part of you to them and you don't know if they'll break it or hold it close to their heart. But you trust them. Not blindly though. And when you find someone who cherishes you; loves YOU and accepts you. That is when you be in love. You don't fall in love. You BE in love. And once I was in love too"

No one spoke for a few minutes and then she said

"Woah"

I didn't know if she said that after hearing my version of love or wondering at the sparkly diamond stars which clung like tiny chandeliers on the sky, because she was looking up. I almost smiled at that. Her features were bathed in the warm yellow light from the lamppost. Her hair in a messy bun, her hoodie smelled like wood and she looked like she was at home, which according to me is a strange word.

She looked plain. She was there. Like a blank piece of wood. Calm and serene and she can become anything she wants. I don't know her but she had an aura which screamed brave. I saw a little rebel in her like me, because not all girls will sit next to you at night under the raining sky when they hardly knew who you were, given the whole neighborhood thinks you're a rebel. India was like that. When the clock strikes 6 half the girl population is locked safe inside their houses and by now everyone is asleep having sweet dreams except the one beside me.

I knew her family was loaded I could tell by looking at her house, but she was wearing old clothes. She gave me comfort in her silence and I found it safe. We simply sat side by side listening to the late night radio shows and watching the brilliant sky until 1 in the morning. I didn't feel tired. She rose and stretched her arms. "Well. Goodnight, stranger", she mock saluted at me.

I took off the earpiece and wiped it with my shirt, gave it to her and nodded. She smiled once more, the dazzling one and walked to her house. I stood up smiling for the first time, now the fight with my mom completely leaving my mind.
I found the word.
Pretty.

She was plain and pretty.

Annoying author speaks:

Hello there! Thank you so much for reading Yellow lights. I would like to thank the people who were an inspiration to the story and I'm so happy to upload this. Keep supporting because without you guys, this is nothing. Let me know what you think about the story.
See ya!