Dumbledore's Army

Harry's POV

Dobby told me about the Room of Requirement, which would be perfect for our Defense Against the Dark Arts group. Throughout the day, we managed to tell everyone who had turned up in the Hog's Head about practice.

At half-past seven Ron, Hermione, Percy, and I left the Gryffindor common room. Fifth years were allowed to be out in the corridors until mine o'clock, but all three of us-excluding Percy, who casually walked next to us-kept looking around nervously as we made our way up I the seventh floor.

"Hold it," I said warningly, unfolding the piece if parchment at the top of the last staircase, tapping it with my wand, and muttering, "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good."

"Filch is on the second floor," I said, holding the map close to my eyes and scanning it closely, "and Mrs. Norris is on the fourth."

"And Umbridge?" Hermione asked anxiously.

"In her office," I said. "Let's go."

I told the others that Dobby said to walk past the bit of wall we were next to three times, concentrating hard on what we needed. We all did so, except for Percy since, at his insistence, his ADHD would give us something with water cows and Hoover Dams.

We need somewhere to learn to fight... I thought. Just give us a place to practice... somewhere they can't find us...

"Harry," Percy said, as we wheeled around after our third walk past.

A highly polished door had appeared in the wall. Ron was staring at it, looking slightly wary. I reached out, seized the brass handle, pulled open the door, and led the way into a spacious room lot with flickering torches like those that illuminated the dungeons eight floors below.

The walls were lines with wooden bookcases, and instead of chairs there were large silk cushions on the floor. A set of shelves at the dad end of the room carried a range of instruments such as Sneakoscopes, Secrecy Sensors, and a large, cracked Foe-Glass that I was sure had hung, the previous year, in the fake Moody's office.

"These will be good when we're practicing Stunning," said Ron enthusiastically, gesturing to one of the cushions.

"And just look at these books!" said Hermione excitedly. She looked at me, her face glowing. "Harry, this is wonderful, there's everything we need here!"

And without further ado she slid Jinxes for the Jinxed from its shelf, and sank onto the nearest cushion, and began to read.

By the time eight o'clock arrived, every cushion was occupied. I moved across to the door and turned the protruding from the lock; it clicked in a satisfyingly loud way and everybody fell silent, looking and me. Hermione carefully marked her page of Jinxes for the Jinxed and set the book aside.

"Well," I said, slightly nervously. "This is the place we've found for practices, and you've-er-obviously found it okay-"

"It's fantastic!" said Cho, and several people murmured their agreement.

"Hey, Harry, what's this stuff?" asked Dean from the read of the room, indicating the Sneakoscopes and the Foe-Glass.

"Dark Detectors," I said, stepping between the cushion to reach them. "Basically they all show when Dark wizards of enemies are around, but you don't want to rely on them too much, they can be fooled..."

"Well, I've been thinking about the sort of stuff we ought to do first and-er-" I noticed a raised hand. "What, Hermione?"

"I think we should elect a leader," said Hermione.