The Heartless Tree

The sun was about to set over the mountains as the young boy ran through the Himawari field towards his father.

"Papa! Papa!"

His father turned around and smiled.

"Hurry! We're going to be late. Have you got them?" he called out to the boy.

"Yes, yes I do!" he waved the bouquet of daffodils and red carnations in the air.

He grinned as he caught up with his father. Together they made their way up the hill to the old cherry blossom tree.

It was the last day of the month, and the two were completing their monthly ritual.

"Do you think she'll hear us?"

"I'm sure she will. She always does."

"How can you tell? Heaven is so far away."

"It's something all parents know," the father smiled as he ruffled his son's hair.

"If you say so...she could give us a sign, you know? Just to let us know she's ok," the boy grumbled.

His father laugh as he placed his own bouquet at the foot of the tree. The red camellias and white chrysanthemums looked up sadly at the pink hues of the sky. The boy propped his own flowers down next to them eagerly. His father lifted him up so that his face could see through the unusual hole in the tree. He had told the boy that the tree had fallen in love with another, but their love was not meant to be. So, as a sign of its everlasting love it gave its heart to the one who truly owned it, hence the empty hole. He watched as the sun began set and as soon as it began to fill out the circle it turned a bright beautiful emerald green.

"I hope you're well Mama! I started learning to write this week! And my tooth is starting to grow back! I know you're watching over us but can you give us a sign? Papa's always sad when he thinks of you, even though he's always smiling!"

"Alright, alright, my turn," his father said laughing gently as he put him down, before looking through the empty space himself.

"He's grown...and becomes more like you every day, strong, caring, you'll be so proud of him. He asks so many questions about you, and one day he'll understand everything. I miss you. I love you...take care my love."

Despite his young age the boy looked away as his father wiped away a tear.

"A sign now would be perfect Mama," he whispered with his eyes squeezed shut.

Thunder clapped through the rose tinted sky.

"Spring...showers?" he whispered as the first of the tiny droplets fell on his palm. He gasped.

"Papa, the rain-"

"Not now, quickly, we don't want to get caught out here," his father said as he grabbed his waist and started to run.

The boy looked up and through the tree's empty heart one more time. The emerald sun shone brightly through the Himawari field, and the green breeze blew gently through the flowers, but not a raindrop was in sight.

"She can hear us," the boy whispered in awe as the hole disappeared from his view and raindrops so very slightly tinged green rolled down his face.