Autumn 2018

September 2018

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expecting a child.

The Duchess is three months pregnant, and the pregnancy is proceeding normally.

As the two small tweets soared around the world, making headlines, reducing royalists to ecstatic tears, drawing congratulations from politicians, celebrities and strangers alike.

×

Duchess of Sussex pregnant: Kate admitted to hospital with acute morning sickness

The Duchess of Sussex is expecting a baby, St James's Palace announced today.

The Duchess of Sussex, the former Kate Middleton, is understood to have found out last month that she was pregnant, and had not intended to go public with the news until she was at least 12 weeks pregnant.

But after being admitted to hospital with a bout of acute morning sickness, the Duke and Duchess decided to make the announcement early to avoid any speculation about her condition.

Royal sources refused to say how many weeks pregnant the Duchess is, but confirmed she has not yet reached the 12-week stage.

The Duchess of Sussex meets a baby on a walk around in Cambridge.

The Duchess, 36, is suffering from hyperemesis gravidarum, which means she needs to be given extra fluids and nutrition, and is likely to remain in hospital for several days.

She was taken ill over the weekend while staying with her parents in Bucklebury, Berks. The Duke was not with her at the time, as he was spending a weekend privately with friends, but he rushed to Bucklebury to join his wife earlier today and travelled with her by car to the King Edward VII hospital in London.

Duchess Catherine suffers from the same acute morning sickness that Princess Adrienne suffered with all three of her pregnancies.

A royal source says that Princess Adrienne is by Catherine side and giving her advice and even sharing tips that helped with morning sickness and have grown even more closer.

The baby will become the eighth in line to the throne, after Prince Harry, regardless of whether it is a girl or boy, following a change to the ancient rule of royal primogeniture, which was scrapped last year following an agreement between heads of the Commonwealth nations.

The Duchess appeared to be suffering no ill-effects when she visited her old school, St Andrew's, in Pangbourne, Berks., on Friday, when she played hockey in high heels.

Her immediate diary of engagements for this week has been cancelled.

The timing of the Duchess's pregnancy will lead to immediate speculation about where the baby was conceived. The fact that the Duchess is not yet 12 weeks pregnant means the baby was conceived after the couple's holiday in France at the beginning of September, when topless pictures of the Duchess were taken.

The Duchess could, however, have conceived during the couple's tour of the Far East later in September.

Depending on how many weeks pregnant the Duchess is, the baby is likely to be born in June or July next year.

This will be Prince Charles and Princess Diana's fourth grandchildren.

Congratulations to the royal couple.