Chapter Six

Whatever answer I was expecting I can assure you it was not, “Sure.” It was more along the lines of him running away screaming. But I took what I could get.

I slid into the booth across from him and made myself comfortable. I got a good look at him. I then understood why I didn’t recognize him at first. He was wearing a dark gray beanie and a gray t-shirt. Over his t-shirt was a denim jacket. It was completely different from his school attire. I suddenly felt incredibly overdressed, sitting there in my party dress while he’s in skinny jeans.

“So,” I started awkwardly.

“So,” He mimicked.

I don’t know what it was- if it was the awkwardness of the situation or something else- but I burst into a fit of laughter. Bubbles of giggles were escaping my mouth uncontrollably. After a minute or so of laughing the feeling died off and the awkward silence crept upon us again.

“So, what are you drawing?” I asked with genuine curiosity.

“Oh, nothing much,” he resorted back to his shy self once again.

“Can I see?”

“No,” he automatically responded.

“Why not?” I pondered.

“It’s just, I don’t like to show my drawings to people.”

“Oh, okay,” I said as I tried to sound like I wasn’t disappointed. I had to remember that we were on opposite ends of the social status and we barely knew each other. Why would he ever show me anything as personal as his drawings?

Once again the awkward silence stretched over us and I looked around, hoping to find some sort of inspiration or conversation starter.

My search ended after I heard Zayn say, “Why?”

“Why what?” I replied.

“Why are you talking to me? Why are you actually trying to treat me like a person? No one else bothers.”

I have to admit, for a minute I was stunned, speechless. And I always have something to say. I mean, I knew that Zayn wasn’t popular, but I assumed he had some friends, maybe not at school, but he wasn’t so repulsive that he shouldn’t have any friends.

I had to gather myself before I replied. “Well, I have to talk to you because we’re partners for a project.” I said, hoping that answer was sufficient for him.

“No.” he said simply.

“What?”

“You’re not just talking to me because partners. You know how I know that?” I offered to do all the work and you turned that down. You’re here when you didn’t have to be. So why?”

That was the question. I wasn’t even sure if I even had an answer to tell myself, let alone Zayn. I always thought it was because it was the right thing to do, but Zayn had me wondering if that was really true.

But if I ever came up with an answer to give Zayn he would never hear it because the door opened loudly. I turned around to see that it was Reece.

Hey! I'm back after a few months. AGAIN. I'm just a huge slacker I guess.

Anyways I made this chapter short because I knew I would not be able to continue without making another chapter.

SO anyways, do you like it? Please comment and vote if you did!

Bye

Maggie