Prologue

An enormous gust of wind rushed through the trees as the ground began to quake.
"Hurry!" Howled a voice, "It's coming!"
"It will be all right! We will make it there before long, it'll take a while before the hurricane reaches us." Another voice yelled over the storm.
"You really believe that we'll get these eggs to the cave before we are swallowed by the storm?" Acacia said in a flustered tone. "Swamp, you are absolutely insane!"
Swamp chanced a look behind them. All of the dragons in his tribe were dying, he could feel it. But still he had hope. Hope that his sibs would survive. Hope that the tribe's dragonets would make it through the storm. And most of all, hope that they made it to the hidden cave in time.
Well maybe I am insane. He thought bitterly. But at least one of us should have hope.
"There it is!" He yelled, swallowing a mouthful of wet sand. "We will make it! After all, the worst of the storm is behind us now." He looked over at Acacia, her wide eyes slowly shifted color from a dark brown to a light green. They'd never understood how that worked, but he loved it about her.
She wasn't speaking, and he wondered for a moment if she had heard him over the wind, but then she unfolded her wings and took off. Well, that answers that question. He thought, then unfolded his wings and did the same.
She landed on the rocky ground, only moments before him, and he watched her every move closely. She gripped the eggs with a gentle force, making sure the three wouldn't slip.
They were safe at last. All of them, a happy family that most MudWings didn't have. And best of all, they were in love.
One egg shook as Acacia set them down one by one. It was the biggest egg of the three. He knew that the eggs were due to hatch the next night, but he also knew that this one would hatch quicker.

Two eggs had hatched through the night, the BigWings, Hippo, had helped the second dragonet out of her egg. The second dragonet, Birch, had Swamp's bronze colored scales, but everything else in her features came from Acacia.
Hippo looked more like Swamp, which Acacia envied, but she didn't mention her jealousy. Hippos horns had an unusual curl to them that both Acacia and Swamp had never seen before. He was absolutely unique.
Hippo marched over to the last egg, clawed at it for a while, then gave up and fell over dramatically. Birch went over to the egg and clawed too. Nothing worked. Swamp began to worry, what if the egg shell is too thick? Will the last dragonet be able to get out?
He decided to wait a while longer, but as time dragged on, he worried even more, until he couldn't contain himself. He jumped up, wings spread wide, and flew over to the opposite side of the cave to where the egg lay. He put his ear up to it, listening intently, for any scratching noises coming from inside. One minute, two minutes, three minutes, still nothing.
Suddenly he stuck a talon through the top of the egg, slicing down the side until he could see the little dragon's talons rapping around the egg shell. He peeled apart the egg, unveiling a tiny brown female dragonet with tan and bronze splotches scattered on her scales