Swedish Fish Fix Everything

Skylar’s Point of View

I blew it, my one chance of making a friend and I blew it. Well, he was laughing at my hair. I didn’t care how cute he was, he laughed at me. Just like everyone else always did. Maybe he didn’t mean it.

For the rest of English class, I found it hard to concentrate on anything, but him. He was tall and thin, so he looked awkward in his desk. Any other guy his height just stuck their legs out in front of them, but he didn’t. He was only about six feet, but still, he just looked so uncomfortable.

He had spikey brown hair, hazel eyes, freckles covering most of his face, and a defined jawline. His nose was thin and had a small scar across the bridge of it, but it fit his face perfectly. His ears stuck out slightly. There was something about him that intrigued me. I wasn’t sure what it was, but I wanted to know. I wanted to know everything about Eliot.

The bell rang and he grabbed his bag and walked with his head down. I wanted to apologize, I really did, but he walked too fast. Well, he probably walked at a normal pace, but I was about half a foot shorter than he, so his strides were naturally longer than mine.

I sat down in the courtyard on the grass for lunch. I kept saying it over and over again in my head. I kept saying ‘I’m sorry Eliot, I’m sorry I was rude, I’m sorry, I just wasn’t thinking’.

I was looking down at my notebook, and a shadow came over me.

“Mind if I sit next to you?” I looked up to see Eliot. “Maybe I can make it up to you for hurting your feelings.” A goofy grin was plastered across his face. Why would he need to make anything up to me, I was the one who was rude to him.

“Um” I was dumbfounded.

“I have Swedish Fish that I am willing to share.”

“Fine, why not? Swedish Fish fix everything.” I laughed. He sat, cross-legged, in front of me. 

We talked, ate our lunches, ad he shared his swedish fish with me. I learned that he had an older sister, who was in college, and that he liked to paint. That day, I made my first friend since seventh grade, and his name was Eliot Sheild. There was something odd about him, even though he was smiling and seemed all happy-go-lucky, his eyes just seemed down-right sad. I wanted to know why.