Episode 8: Civil uncivilised conflicts

"I thought it'd be here

"I thought it'd be here. That was a temple that dropped," Vincent said as he skidded to a stop. The trio had been following him through the city as best they could, but Ariala's light body caused her to run with an inconvenient gait. When she ran, she had to skip, hovering in the air for a good moment before touching down to take the next step. For whatever reason it was tiring for her, so she caught up to Vincent and Nier with heavy gasps.

"A temple? Why is a temple a skyscraper?" she asked in between those heavy breaths. Vincent tilted his head at her.

"Not everyone's as fast and smooth as you, genius," Nier said. He shrugged.

"The Tapu actually commanded it, I believe. Tapu Lele likes everything to be sophisticated," he said, walking forward. They turned one more corner to encounter what was really going down.

The building that had fallen was in ruins, shrouded in flames and a sooty skyline. There were quite a lot of Pokémon around, but all of them were chanting and cheering on a Greninja that stood tall and proud in front of the destroyed temple. Otherwise, all other Pokémon seemed to have fled, leaving the place a large, grass covered square where the temple's garden sat. Sprinklers hidden within the grass had activated to keep the fire at bay, but Greninja was using the arcs of those sprinklers to appear flashy while it posed.

"What's going on?" Ariala asked once she caught her breath back. Long before she even approached the crowd, many of them turned to her, their gazes giving enough chills to make her freeze. Vincent and Nier exchanged glances and stood guard over her. "Please. What is the meaning of all this?"

"Ho really? We knock down a precious building of yours and what's the most you retaliate with? A Clefable and two cutesy cats? Surely you're not so settled in your ways that you're this idiotic," Greninja said, jumping up high to land in front of his crowd. His eyes lacked detail beyond bold lines, confusing Ariala as to whether he was actually looking at her or not. He had a scarf resembling a frog's tongue around his neck, which flowed in the heated wind.

"You did this? You set off bombs and destroyed that temple?" she asked.

"Oh, was that big old thing a temple? I'm sorry, it looked unimportant," Greninja said. Ariala hesitated to reply, sneaking a look at the rest of the Pokémon behind him. There were hundreds of them and although they all appeared angry, not one of them held a weapon or possessed any armour.

"Wait a minute," she realised. Upon closer inspection, many of the Pokémon were young commoners; just like the many she had seen on the way here. Some of them had a few accessories like ribbons, ties, or bows, at most.

"That's all? Scared? Not even going to strike us down? Then we'll go about our business. Hear me now, you pretty fairy! I am Tundra, and I hate your city's little charade with its Tapu religion. I'm going to destroy every last temple here, and I have just enough explosives to do so!" he shouted.