His Side of the Story

"So, how are you?" he asked. I stopped walking and caught my breath. I suddenly got a heart attack when he asked me. I was too busy reminiscing the past, I forgot he's actually beside me. My heart is not palpitating as it was five years ago. Is that a good thing? Maybe five years really brought me to move on from him but now, he's back and he's bigger.

"I-I'm fine. I'm kind of caught up on an intimate issue recently," I responded. "Oh." He pursed his lips together. I was looking around to think of something to talk about. I really wished Ate Wilma is here- she's the topic maker when the three of us would bond together. "Would you want to share it?" he asked. "Huh?" I was surprised. How can he be this comfortable around me? It's actually making me uncomfortable. The memory and the embarrassment is still fresh from when I confessed to him.

"I mean, you can always say it to me. I'm always right here beside you." That line. It sounds familiar like he said it before. He's still the same old John that I know.

I chuckled and shook my head. "Well, let's say, I can't find a man to match my vibes and I'm deeply bothered and affected by it? I kinda got depressed."

"Well, maybe we should just leave it to God and wait for the one who's meant for you."

I smiled over his statement. "So, how about you? Are you a Theologian?" I turned to ask. "Well, you can say that," he mysteriously answered in which I just ignored. "How's life?"

"It's nice. My father still doesn't want me to proceed to priesthood."

"Why did you suddenly visit St. Francis after like 5 years?"

"Wow! This feels like an interview," he jokes but I was just waiting for his answer.

"I don't know. I think God is calling me back. I can't explain it though."

We went into a local café as we caught up with each other's lives. He knew how to manipulate me. He made the atmosphere comfortable. One second passed and then we were laughing together. "Gosh, I've been longing for this moment, you know? For you to be able to treat me out," I stated. He chuckled and took a sip from his coffee. I was just observing him. "I remember, you love coffee a lot," he said and I covered my smile with my cup. He does remember a lot of things.

He nodded and raised his eyebrows because I was staring at him deeply. "Is there something wrong?" I narrowed my eyes and said nonchalantly, "What is your purpose? Why would you suddenly come back and treat me out after five years? For all I know you could meet more people in the community and forget about us."

He chortled, "How could I forget you guys? You were there from the beginning you know?" and took a sip from his coffee.

"Hmmm. Do you have something to tell?"

"Huh?"

"I mean, well I'm all over it but I just want to know what you were about to say when I confessed to you. It haunted me for like two years."

John choked and pounded his chest. "Ayeee. That's a very surprising approach. Let's move on from it."

"I just moved on from it. It's just that I want to know the story behind all those things before leaving them behind. Sounds reasonable?"

"Who are you and what did you do to Demi?" he asked with an intrigued look on his face, resting his head on his palms.

I giggled and pinched his side. "Just answer the question."

"If I'll tell you everything, I don't like you to make any comments about it."

"Yeah, I will," I agreed and looked at him intently for his story.