An Open Book

"Hello?" I greeted. I can only hear the gush of wind from the other line and no one's talking. I was about to end it when someone finally spoke, "Demi, it's John."

I stopped walking still holding the pair of bikini that I used to swim in Pagudpud. "Hey Demi! What are you doing flashing your bikini!" Joy barked but I was still dumbfounded. I'm more focused on the other line. "You still have time? Can you probably meet me tonight?" he asked from the other line. "I could but the thing is... we're already going home," I informed him. The line went silent after that. I thought the call ended but he's still there. "I-Is that so? O-okay, maybe I'll just call you some other time then," he said in a rather soft tone and I ended the call immediately. It was not actually true. We should be leaving tomorrow morning and we're just organizing our stuffs to prevent missing things and misunderstandings especially with the souvenirs.

I already should've took that chance to end things but why didn't I? Am I scared that this is as far as we can go?

"Was it John?" Kate asked and I nodded. She just raised her eyebrows and let me be. "What do you think?" I asked her. "I mean, let it be part of your unwinding process I guess? Think about it," she answered and haggled on her things.

I nodded and looked around the other girls. They were busy. I was thinking of going somewhere but I think it's wrong. "Go," she whispered to me but then I shook my head. "Never mind," I denied. "Hay nako Demi! If you need to go somewhere then go, don't mind about us. We'll just stay here," Kylie said. "I mean yeah it's not like we're going to run," Samantha affirmed. "If you need to go then go, you're going to regret it," Joy proclaimed. Mari, as her usual self just nodded. "Yeah, I need you to buy me one box of bibingka anyways," Carisse requested. "Make that two!" Rigel demanded. Gosh, I'm so touched, they're so supportive so I nodded and went out of the transient house that we were staying in.

I went to the Cathedral and prayed, "Lord, please give me a sign. Give me a sign that this is it and it's already him. Cast me away from all my doubts oh Lord as I end everything now. Let Your will be done."

I took a deep breath before rising up from the pew. I was surprised when I saw a familiar person in front of me. "Ervin?!" I exclaimed. "Demi! Is that you already? What are you doing here? Gosh you've grown" he asked. "I was touring around. What about you? Did you finally become a Theologian?"

"Yeah I am. See, I just reached it."

"Gosh, I really expected that you're the first one to go out of your way to priesthood."

"Oh believe me, the first one was much unexpected," he bragged and laughed. I was looking at the book that he's holding. "What's that?" I asked. "Oh! It's a book for Theologians. You don't need to know."

"The answer is in the tip of your fingers," I read out from the cover page. "Pretty catchy right?" he asked intrigued. Gosh, this person in front of me changed a lot. I never really expected him to be here. What is he doing here? What happened to him that brought him here? It's unbelievable. He was a number one violator in the seminary back in Baguio. Not surrendering cell phones, getting in a relationship with someone and some other things.

He cleared his throat which disturbed me so I looked away. "I know you're thinking it's unbelievable. Stop thinking that. Gosh, you never actually supported me from my path to priesthood until now. Gosh, this girl."

"Wow! Doctor Psycho! Is that you?" I teased. "Don't underestimate my forehead missy, it got ample units of Psychology in there," he bragged and wriggled his eyebrows. I giggled. "Anyway, aren't you going to ask about someone else but me? I'm not used to it you know? I kinda missed it."

My endorphin level upon meeting him suddenly dropped by remembering the one he's talking about. I am deeply bothered by it.

I just shrugged. I noticed Ervin was looking at a different direction and when I turned around, I saw John holding a ukulele. He turned and saw us. His eyes widened and his index finger was pointing at me. The answer is in the tip of your fingers, it was the first thought that came inside my head. Is this--- is this the sign? I froze and was just looking at him as he walked his way to us. This is... unbelievable!

"Hey Demi--- Ervin!" he greeted. "Hey stopper, I really need to go somewhere, tour Demi around for me please?"

John just raised his eyebrows and nodded. "I thought you're going back to Baguio?" he asked. "I-I had to buy some things nearby and I stopped by for a last visit. This Cathedral is very beautiful," I reasoned out. "Oh, that's good then," he said, nodding. "It's near sundown, we should go out, I'll show you something," he invited and went out; still carrying the ukulele.

He was just silent on the way as I was following him. We went inside the bell tower and climbed up to the top where the bells are hanging. I was just on the stairs when he said, "Close your eyes and don't ever open them until I'll tell you."

"Huh? Why?" I asked, finding it weird.

"Just close them or you will spoil the fun."

And so I did. He held my arm in place to assist me. He was moving me into position when he instructed, "You can open your eyes now."