Chapter 3: Truth

All was quiet as Aneira and I emerged outside. When we emerged outside, my eyes carefully combed through my surroundings. Aneira said there were monsters here. But it's weird; I'm looking everywhere. But I can't see any monsters. Was Aneira wrong? I really hope so. Please let there be no monsters!

"Lydia." My head immediately snaps up. My eyes look towards Aneira. A couple yards away stands Aneira. Her body leaned up against a wall beside a rusty brown door. How did she get over there so fast? She must have kept going while I zoned out. I really have to pay more attention! Focus Lydia! With a sheepish grin and slight embarrassment, I walk towards Aneira. All the while continuing to pay attention to my surroundings. When I finally get to her, Aneira quickly opens the door and signals me to follow. Without delay, I comply but not without a question.

"So Aneira, where exactly are you taking us?" I ask, my voice low and quiet.

"Up ahead is the officer's lounge. It is where we go to hang out and take a break from working. There should be a computer in there we can use to call for help." A computer? Yes! Finally, something we can use to get out of here! Let's go! With some prep in my step, I quicken my pace. Aneira leads us through another door. When we enter, my fast pace abruptly stops. My eyes are glued to the machine in front of us. That's a metal detector! We can't go through that! If we do, it will set off an alarm and will alert whatever monsters Aneira was talking about. I have to warn her!

"Aneira! That's a metal detector! We can't go through that with what we have on us!" Aneira turns toward me. Her gaze serious and piercing. Immediately, my mouth closes.

"I know Lydia. But trust me, I have a way around it." Aneira suddenly bends down and grasps her boot. What is she doing? Her footwear isn't going to help us get past that machine. Not that I'm saying anything about her boots though. To be honest, I wish I had a pair. But anyway, after a few seconds, Aneira pulls out a slender keycard in between her fingers. A keycard? Why would Aneira hide a keycard in her boot?

"Aneira, you're my best friend and I've known you for a two years now. But... why do you have a keycard in your boot?" I ask her. Having that keycard in her boot isn't practical. She should just put it in her pocket or something. Aneira takes the keycard and pushes into a tiny machine on the wall. When she does, the word SCANNING... comes on the screen.

"Well Lydia, I don't have any pockets. Nor do I have anything I can carry my keycard in. I put it in my boot just in case I need it. Plus, if I put my keycard in my pocket, it could always get stolen." True. But it's still impractical. But that's best friend for you. Suddenly, the machine gives Aneira back her keycard. When it does, Aneira puts it back in her boot. Another question comes to my mind but Aneira beats me to it.

"The keycard disables the metal detector until we enter the lounge. All officers have one. And before you ask, they put a metal detector there to stop criminals from entering the lounge." Oh okay, that makes sense. Hmm, very interesting. After our conversation, silence began to set in like an ominous cloud. I tried to spark some more conversation, but I was out of ideas. It wasn't until Aneira spoke up that the silence was lifted.

"So Lydia, what have you been doing these past two weeks?" Aneira asks, her voice slicing through the settling silence.

"Me? Just trying to gather some data on Region Incorporated. You?" Aneira shrugs.

"Same here. The Reapers and I have been working almost non-stop trying to gather data. So far, we haven't found a thing. Nothing except a reference to this place. That's all." I see. So she's had the same terrible luck I've had. Well, I guess... wait a minute. Did she say the Reapers?

"Aneira, did you just say the Reapers? As in the ones that kidnapped and murdered people back in New Haven?" I asked, my voice slowly rising with shock. Aneira slowly nods. When she does, anger and shock take over me.

"Aneira! How could you work with them! They're vile and cruel! They kidnapped and murdered people!" I said, my voice almost a yell.

"Lydia, they aren't what you think. The Reapers are good people. Look, months before New Haven's destruction, when the kidnappings and murders started, Region Incorporated began leaking X-Virus into the city's water supply..."

"I know this already! What does it have to do with them?!" I ask, my voice slowing down to a stop. It's volume and tone seeping with venom.

"You know?" Yes I know! Does she think I'm stupid?

"Of course I know! I know what happened there. But you need to answer my question. What does it... have to do with... the Reapers?!" Aneira's expression begins to change. Her serious expression disappears. In its stead, fear begins to show. I can tell Aneira is trying to hide it. But it's not use.

"Lydia, look. When Region Incorporated began leaking the X-Virus, people began to get sick. They began to show symptoms and eventually turned into monsters. The Reapers did their best to save the city. They shot those that turned. And they took those that showed symptoms. They tried to find a cure. But it was impossible. The virus mutated too quickly for a cure to be effective. They did their best but it wasn't enough." So the Reapers... they tried to save the city? But... they killed people... but those people. I remember the reports mom filed. Those people were acting like monsters. And they look just like them too. And those people were the ones the Reapers targeted. So... I guess they did try to do the right thing. But what about the kidnappings? It wasn't right for them to kidnap people. Even if they were infected. And even is they were going to die, that still doesn't make it right.

"Lydia, I'll admit to you, Blake's methods were exactly the best methods. They weren't exactly orthodox. But he did try his best. He loved New Haven as much as we did. And like us, he didn't want to see it destroyed. Especially not by a company like Region. Blake did what was best. It's fine if you don't agree with him. And in some ways I do agree with you about his methods. But you have to admit, he at least tried. And to me, that's all that matters." Aneira began to walk away. Her pace fast and loud as she continued down the hall. So they tried to save New Haven. And they did it even though they were hunted and branded as criminals. They tried to do what was right even though no one wanted to help. I... I have to apologize to Aneira. I shouldn't have been so hard on her. After all, she was just trying to help them do the right thing. I have to apologize right now!

"Aneira!" I say, my voice beginning to crack. Aneira quickly turns around.

"I'm sorry for what I said. I didn't mean to be hard on you. I just..." Aneira cut me off.

"It's okay. I forgive you. You didn't know about the Reapers nor did you know the truth. It's okay." Thank you best friend. Thank you. Aneira and I continue to walk down the hall until we reach a door. I put my hand on its smooth handle.

"Ready best friend?"

"Yep!" We enter through the door, hoping we could get in contact with someone.