Part 1: Kent

"Kent Duffy. Media pass validated," declared the cheerful artificial voice from the card scanner.

A humaniform series 5 security construct returned Kent's ID card and gestured toward the elevator banks. "You are free to proceed to the 31st floor, Mr. Duffy. The conference is already in progress."

Kent took the plastic sliver and did as instructed. He glanced back at the security checkpoint where the eight constructs guarded their post with no more acknowledgment of the little man. Their disinterest gave Kent a small measure of comfort. An unremarkable man draws little attention.

He walked to the elevator keypad, and punched 3 and 1. Two-foot high numbers appeared on the wall in front of him before being swept aside by the word ALERT in equal proportions. The lights of the elevator bank flashed a harsh red.

Kent tensed.

Everything hinged on him reaching the conference. Hundreds of training hours had gone into planning his insertion into the building. If he were caught, it would've all been for nothing.

A low feature facial display, Low-Face as it was called by the younger generation, replaced the letters. The Low-Face was a blue oblong shape with a mane of hair two shades darker. Nose and mouth were minimal representations, but the eyes were large and expressive with long red lashes. Blake-1290-West, the building's female AI, glared at Kent.

"Mr. Duffy, the elevator will be delayed pending a security issue." Her voice, like most Artificial Intelligences, was compiled from audio recordings of a 21st century actress whose name eluded poor Kent Duffy.

"Ummm, is there a problem?"

Kent's mind raced through a dozen contingency plans, while struggling to fight the urge to grip his hidden sidearm. The state of the art weapon had been custom made to confound modern sensors and appear as a much lower yield gun. It would ravage flesh, synthetic and natural. Unfortunately, the kinetic rounds would merely scratch the chassis of a series 5.

"Please remain still, Mr. Duffy. The situation will be amended posthaste."

Kent's eyes darted towards the building exit. There was no way to get to the doors without a shootout or hostages. Eight security constructs, optimized for subdual and detainment. They would never let Kent escape.

He turned back to the building's low-face and was startled. A series 5 security construct stood in front of him. Instinct screamed for Kent to run, but fear rooted him in place.

"Are you well, Mr. Duffy?" asked the building A.I.. "Your heart rate has spiked."

"I... I'm fine!"

"If you are not well, I can have medical assistance here in 4.5 standard minutes."

"No... seriously. Everything is great! I'm fine. All fine."

The series 5 cocked its head to the side, studying him.

Keep calm, keep calm, keep calm. Kent repeated in his mind.

The machine reached forward and handed Mr. Duffy his overcoat.

"You forgot your coat, Mr. Duffy," said the machine.

"My coat?" Kent squeaked. He looked from constrict to the face on the wall. Kent forced a smile. "Thank you," he said, taking the coat.

"You are very welcome," replied the building intelligence. The low-face slid to the right and vanished, and replaced the face on the face-plate of the security construct. "You are perspiring a great deal. Are you sure you do not need assistance?"

"Uh, I'm fine, thank you. Everything's fine. A-okay," Kent stammered.

Kent willed the sweat to stop and learned a vital lesson. Trying to stop sweating was a great way to sweat more.